Talk

Advanced search

2.5 year old can't jump

(21 Posts)
ChirpyGirl Tue 29-Jul-08 07:53:26

Any ideas how I can help her? She thinks she is doing it but is either on tip toe or stamping!
Don't have room for a trampoline but have tried using her friends to no avail...

Umlellala Tue 29-Jul-08 08:01:07

I think it just comes eventually, dd (same age) went through the tip-toe/stamping thing and can finally now jump.Just enjoy her attempts I think grin

Umlellala Tue 29-Jul-08 08:03:08

Oh, we do do lots of jumping on the bed holding my hands blush

5 little monkeys jumping on the bed
One fell off and bumped his head
Mummy called the dr and the dr said
NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED!

ChirpyGirl Tue 29-Jul-08 08:05:00

It does amuse me hugely but she is getting really pissed off at not being able to splash her (extremely bouncy) best mate in puddles!
He's like Tigger on crack bouncing around her having a whale of a time while she just shouts at himgrin

ChirpyGirl Tue 29-Jul-08 08:05:54

I could try that....but I might stay on the floorblush

hairtwiddler Tue 29-Jul-08 08:06:39

Mine can't jump either (also 2.5) - she bounces on the bed holding my hands but I don't think her feet leave the floor. She was a late walker and all gross motor skills have been behind. This week she went down a slide on her own for the first time and tackled a very small climbing frame. She can't really run very fast either.
Happy bed bouncing!

Umlellala Tue 29-Jul-08 10:20:24

Ohhhhh, no, I stay on the floor too grin. Have been pregnant for as long as she can remember (got a newborn now) so no, Mummy couldn't do jumping... Sounds lots of fun though!!

deaconblue Tue 29-Jul-08 12:15:45

mine too, although he is a couple of monhts younger so am hopin he'll get it soon. He throws his arms in the air, makes a real exertion noise and doesn't even leave the ground by an inch. I do lots of jumping songs etc but he's the type who either wants to do it for himself or not at all so isn't keen on practising.

glaskham Tue 29-Jul-08 12:31:59

My dd is 2y 4m and is still in the stamping tippy toe stage!! goes on the trampoline and does the same thing too!!

It'll happen eventually!!

nappyaddict Tue 29-Jul-08 12:39:13

Did she walk late? Ds walked at 21 months and now at 2y 1 month he can't jump either but does do the tippy toe/stamping thing.

asteamedpoater Tue 29-Jul-08 17:51:56

My son's physio told us that a child is normally expected to be able to jump by age 3, so nothing odd in your daughter not being able to jump, yet. As the others said, just encourage her, let her hold your hands while she tries, take her to play groups that have trampolines and bouncy castles (sports centres often run these), etc.

ChirpyGirl Tue 29-Jul-08 19:24:45

Am quite reassured by this, all of her mates (I know, I shouldn't compare, but...) have been jumping for ages!

She wasn't a late walker, she was about 13 months when she started but is also one of those children that won't be 'taught' or explained to, she just gets really cross with me!

(She was in a puddle earlier and I told erh to bend her knees and then stand up really quickly and jump, and she bent her knees so much she sat down...grin)

KT14 Tue 29-Jul-08 21:09:43

My ds has taken forever to learn to jump on land, so to speak (as opposed to our bed or a trampoline!), he's only just really got it in the past couple of months and he'll soon be 3. He was walking at 12 months and has no motor skills problems, he just hopped from foot to foot for ages.
Unbelievably, what finally got him jumping was the night garden book where all the characters go "boing boing" at the end. I read it to him and lifted him to jump as each character did, within a couple of days he had the hang of it without my help. Total madness but true I promise!

DontlookatmeImshy Tue 29-Jul-08 21:37:36

CG - I was just thinking about starting a thread like this. Your dd sounds just like my ds1 (2.9). All his friends can jump but he just sort of launches himself from one foot to the other. He has been on trampolines and bouncy castles gallore the last couple of days and seems to be getting close to a real jump but it's still had me a bit worried.
It's good to know it's not that unusual.

nappyaddict Thu 31-Jul-08 15:50:56

all of you with late jumpers can they kick or how old were they when they learnt?

DontlookatmeImshy Thu 31-Jul-08 22:31:51

DS1 can kick, but i can't remember when he started. I think he was a bit behind compared to his peers though, although IMH(smug mummy)O he is now much better at it than them

ScummyMummy Thu 31-Jul-08 22:39:42

don't worry.It's cute when they can't jump/ Mine both went through periods of
<<big fanfare>>
<<bend knees downward to fullest extent>>
<<straighten knees in fast, upward trajectory>>
<<feet don't leave the floor>>
<<admiring mother laughs a lot>>

Ah happy days. nowadays hey jump boringly. make the most of it.

bluenosesaint Thu 31-Jul-08 23:11:37

My dd2 was like this - it took her aaaagggggges to learn how to jump and she looked soooooooo cute as she tried smile

Get the camcorder out so that you can chuckle and remember grin

HuwEdwards Thu 31-Jul-08 23:15:14

oh my DD2 was the same and hopping! so funny

bluenosesaint Thu 31-Jul-08 23:24:39

My dd is 5 and still cant hop!

ChirpyGirl Fri 01-Aug-08 19:38:21

She could kick at about the same time as everyone else and crawling/walking the same. Good to know that it isn't that unusual though.

TBH the reason I am asking how to help is I keep filming her and wetting myself (especially when she is in a puddle and she doesn't make a splash, the look of perplexion is hysterical) and I felt slightly cruel....but I shall just carry on nowgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now