Talk

Advanced search

Help with reading for a 5 y o

(7 Posts)
larahusky Mon 28-Jul-08 21:27:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sam100 Tue 29-Jul-08 08:52:03

hi there - we are in similar situation - our not yet 5 dd2 (august baby) has just finished reception and is going into year 1 but is still not reading complete sentences. She can read individual words on flash cards (reception tricky words) but i'm not sure if she has simply learned them off by heart as she does not seem able to recognise them when they are in a sentence. She also mixes up b's and d's and quite often writes letters backwards.

I have been inclined to wait until she is older as her big sister did not click with reading until she was 5.25 - but worry that she will struggle with year 1 - they start spelling tests every friday within a few weeks of starting back!!

So I am no help whatsoever but will follow your thread with interest to see if we can pick up any tips!!

itati Tue 29-Jul-08 08:54:50

Flashcards

One word on each.

Chose 3 cards to learn at a time. And do them over and over until she gets them.

You could make 2 cards with the same word, lay down the 6 cards and play find the matching pair.

MsDemeanor Tue 29-Jul-08 08:57:14

Is the school using Jolly Phonics? If not, get a set from Amazon and do it with your dd over the holiday. Learning to read by memorising whole words is a rubbish method and far less successful. JP is fun to do. And read to her lots, while using your finger to show which direction the words go. If this fails talk to her teacher in Sept. She is still young so lots of time.

larahusky Tue 29-Jul-08 19:26:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsDemeanor Wed 30-Jul-08 18:58:09

No, flashcards waste of time if she doesn't 'get' the idea that words are made up of sounds that you can decode. The JP books are simple, fun and my ds loved them. and they teach 'reading' not memorizing. Honestly, it's a totally different skill.

swallowthree Thu 31-Jul-08 21:23:59

Have you talked to her teacher about the methods they are using ? Most now use phonics where you learn all the letter sounds. Stick with that system or she will get confused. Keep it fun and low key or she'll learn to hate it. Some schools run open days or courses for reception parents - worth finding out about. I don't think it is worth panicking and remember that in Scandinavian countries they don't get into teaching children to read and write until they are 6/7 - they then overtake UK children. My observation of my daughter's peers ( she is now 7) is that a lot have had a real surge at 6/7 and the parents who were worrying are now delighted. As long as you keep her motivated and wanting to learn, she'll get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now