Talk

Advanced search

Help with reading for a 5 y o

(6 Posts)
larahusky Mon 28-Jul-08 21:27:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seeline Tue 29-Jul-08 14:48:50

Sorry I don't have any real suggestions. I just wanted to say don't panic - lots of children take longer to 'get' reading. DS could just about sound out some 3 letter words at the end of reception but 1 year on he is now able to read simple books to himself. I suggest you carry on reading together. If she's getting confused about so much information on a page, perhaps go through the book together just looking at the pictures and guess the story, then go back to the beginning and read the text to her and see how close you are. Point to the words as you read them so that she gets the hang of how a book works... Some books with repetitive phrases or frequently occuring names are good because she can then watch out for these specific bits and 'read' those herself. Most importantly keep reading to her and enjoy the books. Good luck!

quinne Tue 29-Jul-08 15:13:54

I taught my son to read with the ladybird Peter and Jane books. First he learned the phonetic sounds of the alphabet and then he worked through the books with me. The first series and second series costs £10 each. Each time we hit a sound like ch, i just said the curly c and the h sound make a ch noise. Then he'd sound out the letters and get the word. The first book took 3 days, the first series took a week, the second series took 10 days and after six weeks he could read in a stuttering fashion. Another three months and he can read anything (he reads alone to himself for pleasure now just six months after we opened the first book).
The things he liked about the books were that he was reading a real story, and I can relate to why that is better than wiggling your hands and making the noise of a snake, as per jolly phonics.
The theory with peter and Jane is that 100 words make up something like 75% of the words we use, so if the child gets confidence in those first 100 words then a page full of words is less scary and they'll try sounding out the few they don't know.

Still it is horses for courses. A lot of people object because they are not PC enough (and they are definitely not PC!). However, my son doesn't learn about the world from one set of books, so I didn't see this as a reason not to do it. Anyway I had very little choice (I don't live in the UK, so I have limited access to English teaching materials and no school to help). I took what I could get but luckily it turned out to be a good choice anyway.
The word flashcards are useful too.
Hope this helps.

desperatehousewifetoo Tue 29-Jul-08 16:11:13

Thinking back to when my ds was in reception (that is my only expertise in these matters!).

He started off with the basic vocab from the ORT series that he had to learn to recognise first.

Each word (characters names and some of the words frequently used e.g. Biff, Chip, and, the) was printed on it's own, in bold, on a piece of paper in large letters.

Sorry, don't think explaining it well - he had small cards with a word on each!

We talked about the first sounds in the words, made them into short sentences, etc (you could also make 2 sets and match them). I think he spent a few weeks with these before he had any books.

Looking at books together is just as good as your dc 'reading' them. They use the pictures a lot initially to help them 'read'. It's quite normal (ime) to do that.

I also remember using my index finger to help guide him to reading the words in correct order for ages. I would let him look at the picture first on each page and then we would look at the letters.

I'm sure someone will be along who actually knows about these things! But I hope in the meantime, that might help a bitsmile

quinne Tue 29-Jul-08 16:27:46

I used the method that my teachers did in school to keep the child's eye on the right place on the page i.e. the white underside of a torn out christmas card. It works!

larahusky Tue 29-Jul-08 19:29:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now