Talk

Advanced search

Why won't my dd drink her milk?

(24 Posts)
hughjarssss Mon 28-Jul-08 18:25:14

She is almost 9 months and has one bottle at night and one in the morning, but for the past two days has hardly drunk any of it?

She is still drinking water during the day and eats three meals a day

Do you think it is because of the heat? How long before I start worrying that she isn't geting enough nutrients?

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 28-Jul-08 18:28:48

Could you split the amount of milk over more bottles, and offer more often?

It's been aloooong time since mine were at this stage, Hugh, someone with more recent experience will be along in a mo

smile

hughjarssss Mon 28-Jul-08 18:33:22

I've tried giving her a bottle in the day BALD but she won't take it.

Her first two teeth are coming through, could that be something to do with it?

CarGirl Mon 28-Jul-08 18:40:02

My eldest just went off milk around 10 months by 11 months refused to drink it.

CL4DB Mon 28-Jul-08 20:35:01

My DD was a terrible milk drinker just not very interested and cut right down to 1 bottle at 9 months. She loves her morning bottle still but 5oz is the max. Don't worry, they pretty much know what they are doing and she will find her own way and will take what she wants. You could still try offering it but its pretty fruitless if she has made up her mind. She is just 1 now...

hughjarssss Mon 28-Jul-08 20:49:05

Thanks for the advice, I'll just let her lead me then and try not to worry smile

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 28-Jul-08 20:54:52

Message withdrawn

hughjarssss Mon 28-Jul-08 20:55:27

What sort of vitamins starlight?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 28-Jul-08 20:55:37

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 28-Jul-08 20:56:21

Message withdrawn

FrazzledFairyFay Mon 28-Jul-08 20:56:58

If her teeth are coming through then sucking the teat could be causing her discomfort

gigglewitch Mon 28-Jul-08 21:00:10

if you are desperate that she gets the milk, something weird from my DC - they would only drink it very warm. hmm Please don't ask me why, but all three of them were the same. I don't think you should worry yourself to bits over it, if she is getting enough to drink plus some yogurt and stuff.
(you could always try spiking it with Strawberry smoothie wink)

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 28-Jul-08 21:01:08

Message withdrawn

hughjarssss Mon 28-Jul-08 22:45:35

FrazzledFairy,I think you've found the cause! She starts to drink it, stops and then begins to cry. So it is like she wants it from the bottle to begin with but then it starts to hurt her.
Is their anything I can do to ease the discomfort so ahe can have the bottle?

How do you make the strawberry smoothie, stupid question I know! I'm guessing starberries and milk in a blender??

If she can't take the bottle because it hurts I'll get the vitamins although she eat plenty of youghurt etc

SazzlesA Mon 28-Jul-08 22:51:36

Message withdrawn

hughjarssss Mon 28-Jul-08 22:55:32

She can drink from the beaker if I hold it for, is that ok or should I wait till she can control it herself.
She can hold it and take it to her mouth, but she doesn't actually drink from it unless I'm holding it.

Would drinking from the beaker hurt less than the bottle do you think?

SazzlesA Mon 28-Jul-08 23:00:41

Message withdrawn

hughjarssss Mon 28-Jul-08 23:27:12

Thats what I've got sazzle, its a free flow one with handles on the sides.
She does bite and teeth on it when she's holding it, she only drinks from it if I'm holding it.
I might try and give her milk in it tomorrow if she refuses the bottle again.

SazzlesA Tue 29-Jul-08 08:48:10

Message withdrawn

hughjarssss Tue 29-Jul-08 09:10:35

She drank it all smile

Maybe here teeth are not hurting as much. I might still try switchinh to a beaker and getting rid of the bottle

SazzlesA Tue 29-Jul-08 12:45:24

Message withdrawn

hughjarssss Tue 29-Jul-08 18:23:53

I'll find out how she gets on with her evening bottle soon! At least I know I can move her onto the beaker now if I need to

Sazzles - Thanks for your help and for asking how she was getting on this morning smile

SazzlesA Tue 29-Jul-08 21:36:59

Message withdrawn

hughjarssss Tue 29-Jul-08 23:54:42

LOL!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now