Talk

Advanced search

have i got a genius child? hehe.

(18 Posts)
misdee Wed 09-Feb-05 11:07:05

dd2 is puzzle mad. she can do puzzles quicker than any other 2year old i know. she has always been like this. i have had to start buying puzzles for 3+yrs as she gets bored of the ones for the 1-3 age range as finds them too easy.

charliecat Wed 09-Feb-05 11:11:28

My dd at 3 could do 36 piece jigsaws...now at 7 she gets bored with 50 piece ones...it was good while it lasted

misdee Wed 09-Feb-05 11:13:58

she has just done a 20piece one whilst watching balamory, took her about 2 minutes.

charliecat Wed 09-Feb-05 11:14:51

Excellent, im sure ive read somewhere that if they are good at jigsaws they will be good at maths...something like that anyway!

Gobbledigook Wed 09-Feb-05 11:16:02

Misdee - my ds's are the same, particularly ds1. He was able to do the 24 piece ones dead easy at about 2 as well. DS2 is 2.2 and whizzes through his 15 piece and 24 piece ones too. I heard from someone recently as well that ability to do puzzles and jigsaws is one of the biggest indicators of intelligence . It could be all rot of course!

Gobbledigook Wed 09-Feb-05 11:17:41

Charliecat - that's interesting because ds1's nursery teacher told me the other day 'I'm finding T exceptionally good at numbers and anything mathematical' and he's good at jigsaws! I found maths pretty easy, though I was no genius and I don't think ds is either - it's just what type of brain you've got I think - mine is very logical hence I hate wishy, washy literature type subjects.

beansontoast Wed 09-Feb-05 11:22:03

my sister was very good at jigsaws.the family still talk about it.

shes almost forty!!

piffle Wed 09-Feb-05 11:39:56

yep!
My son was awesome at puzzles and he is maths and science whizz
our family have always been puzzle mad too. Although dd 27 mths just throws the pieces into the washing machine! but she will count them first!
Go figure!!!!

Gwenick Wed 09-Feb-05 11:41:47

That would be nice if the maths/jigsaws thing were true.........I used to LOVE jigsaws - was doing 1000 piece + jigsaws at 10yrs old.......but was (and still am) hopeless at maths.

Does being good at wordsearches mean you're good at anything?? End of terms we used to get given word searches to do during class time, teacher always used to have 3 or 4 ready in case people got through them quickly - I used to finish them and still have half the lessons finished

PS I wish my kids were that good at jigsaws - DS1 (4) is getting there, but by no means fast or 'good' at them.

galaxy Wed 09-Feb-05 11:43:57

My dd is 27 months and just the same so hopefully she'll be a child genius too.

She is doing puzzles for 3 year olds and yesterday did a 72 piece brand new puzzle for a 4 year old in 15 minutes.

She also has a penchant for having things in straight lines and everything being neat and tidy.

Anal just like her father

LIZS Wed 09-Feb-05 11:47:40

hope you're right ! dd (3) is similar - she'll do 60 - 100 pieces in one sitting now ! But we go through phases where she'll do every puzzle we own one day and then not another for weeks except at playgroup.

blueteddy Wed 09-Feb-05 11:52:34

My ds1 is very good with numbers (he is 5), he loves to count to 100, recognises numbers beyond 20 & works out simple sums. (Goodness knows where he got this from!)
However, he has no interest in puzzles!

blueteddy Wed 09-Feb-05 11:53:30

Puzzles even!
See, his mother can't even spell!!!

misdee Wed 09-Feb-05 11:53:57

dd1 isnt as keen on puzzles. she prefers messing about with letters than numbers.

Gobbledigook Wed 09-Feb-05 12:48:42

Galaxy - my ds1 is the same! From being very little he sorted lego bricks into their colours and lined cars up in amazingly neat straight lines!! Bizarre but I think he takes after me? I'm very anal!!

tigi Wed 09-Feb-05 19:46:21

son aged 10 loves maths, and very good, but i don't recall him really doing jigsaws. 5 year old, I'm told by teacher, has a good memory, and going sums up to 10, never did puzzles, and the 2 year old is puzzle mad doing large ones, so not sure about the continuity of this theory yet!

zippy539 Wed 09-Feb-05 19:53:36

I'm rubbish at maths and ds (3) is rubbish at puzzles. Glad to see I'm passing on my talents!

fredtbad Wed 09-Feb-05 20:00:56

Zippy are you and ds good at sport though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now