Talk

Advanced search

20 month old DD keeps hitting me!

(3 Posts)
Daffodilly Mon 28-Jul-08 14:11:30

OK so it doesn't exactly hurt - but I am not sure how to handle.

I think it is down to frustration usually. Toy not cooperating - smack Mummy. Not getting own way - smack Mummy again. Ocassionally I think she does it to get my attention if I am busy doing something.

She knows it is wrong. If I tell her off she then says "gentle patting" and will pat gently to make it better (unless she is really in a temper).

DH thinks we should ignore it altogether. Any suggestions? I'm also 3 mths pg so want to nip aggression (esp towards me) in the bud early on.

woose Mon 28-Jul-08 18:52:30

I get this from DS too. He has done it since about 1 and now 22 months. He only ever does it to me though. He does it when he is tired in the hour before he goes to bed and I never know what the best thing to do is. Your DD may be a bit young but we have started putting him in the naughty corner when he does this. However, not sure it is working because he thinks it is a game, he looks round and smiles and sometimes he smacks me and then runs to the corner shouting naughty corner, naughty corner, as if he wants to go there. I definitely think it is for attention and your DH may be right to try and ignore it, but is so difficult because I find that when I want to be close to him and give him a cuddle in the evening it just gives him the perfect opportunity to lash out. I guess I would like advice too on this issue. I am also expecting another DC in a few weeks, so I am thinking that things may get worse.

Daffodilly Mon 28-Jul-08 18:59:21

Thanks for replying. It isn't really the worst problem at the moment. But I feel I need to handle it properly rather than let it escalate.

A RL friend suggested that they hit the people they feel safest with - rather than say a stranger who might have a less pleasant response. So perhaps I should be flattered that I seem to bear the brunt of this form of expression!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now