Talk

Advanced search

14mo and clingyness - reassure me please!

(5 Posts)
sleepychunky Mon 28-Jul-08 12:00:22

Hi there,

DS is nearly 14 months. I work full time M-F and DH is a security guard at the airport, so on various shift patterns meaning he sometimes doesn't see DS for 4 days. Before DH started this job in April he also worked M-F and DS had a regular childcare pattern (2 days a week CM, 1 day my mum and 2 days my sister in law). Now that DH is at home more during the week my mum and sister in law don't look after DS as much, although he still goes to the CM twice a week.
DS has been getting very clingy with me and crying every time the other carers come round, even though he knows them really well and loves them. Is this because the new routine with DH's new job has upset him, or is it just an age thing which he will grow out of? I feel bad disrupting him by having different carers every week but they are all family who he has known since he was born, and I want to make it as easy as possible for him (and to stop my guilty feelings at having to sneak out of the house without DS noticing and not being able to get a kiss and a hug from him sad
Any tips on how to make him less sad when I go, or is it just something he will grow out of in due course?
Thanks for advice
SC

ShowOfHands Mon 28-Jul-08 12:07:20

My 14mo is the same and I'm a SAHM! It's classic separation anxiety, a bit of teething and my dh has changed from M-F to shifts.

Don't sneak out, always say goodbye.

sleepychunky Mon 28-Jul-08 12:37:31

Thanks SOH, I normally do say goodbye but that seems to make it worse and I want to try and upset him as little as possible. I thought that we were over the separation anxiety stage (went through it badly at 8/9 months)
Glad to know I'm not the only one!

LUCIA22 Mon 28-Jul-08 13:04:24

My DD is 14 months and going through the same. She has always been a bit clingy but it has recently got worse in that she now cries if I go into the toilet & shut the door. I work 3 days a week and DP works from home. She goes to nursery one day and my parents look after her for one day. She is fine once i have gone but when i am at home she wont sit with anyone else but me and trails around the house behind me grizzling sometimes.
She has just started refusing to go to bed, she just wants me to cuddle her all the time.

Heebychick Sat 30-Aug-08 18:36:16

Hi, not sure if this thread is still alive but wanted to say my 18mo DD is exactly the same you yours lucia trailing around after me and won't go to anyone (even daddy). it's both upsetting and frustrating as she gets hysterical. we reassure her all the time but it doesn't seem to help. She now won't go to bed or for a nap because she's so upset.

Hard times bless her xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now