Talk

Advanced search

8 month old screaming in pushchair!

(8 Posts)
soxy Fri 25-Jul-08 15:49:50

Hi,

Our 8 Month old girl has recently started a habit of going nuts whilst out in the buggy, never really happens straight away, almost as if she deliberately waits until we get somewhere really public to make a scene! Usually involoves screaming/crying/throwing herself around as if she's possessed!

Anyhow, she calms down once we pick her up so is this a clingy stage we're experiencing? I guess we want some sort of re-assurance that this is a somewhat normal thing to be experiencing at this age?

Thanks!

copingvquietly Fri 25-Jul-08 15:51:53

my 8month old does this as im trying to get him in the buggy.it started all of a sudden so im afraid ive got no idea why either.

thisisyesterday Fri 25-Jul-08 15:53:21

could be separation anxiety, is she facing away from you?
just wondering if she can't see you, and you're suddenly around lots of people that it scares her a bit and she needs reassurance that you're still there?

ellideb Fri 25-Jul-08 15:54:44

Can you try distracting her with a toy or a drink just before you think she will start? Maybe it's the public places/ nosies/crowds she fears? Could you turn the pushchair around so that she is facing you? Maybe she just needs to see your face?

3littlefrogs Fri 25-Jul-08 15:57:14

I was going to say the same thing - she really needs to be facing you at this age.

soxy Fri 25-Jul-08 16:16:40

yeah she is still facing us and have tried all the food, drink, and toy tactics but to no luck!

gagarin Fri 25-Jul-08 16:27:19

Soxy - life looks interesting to her - so she wants to get out. She can't say that so she yells. You get her out. Success!

There is nothing wrong with her but intelligence. The screaming is to make you do what she wants - and it works.

I would say the opposite to the other posters. She wants to see the world and what/who you are looking at/speaking to when you slow/stop the buggy.

Turn her the other way so she can see the interesting world not the boring parents.

At the moment the only time she gets to see anything is whne she yells to get out.

meandmyjoe Fri 25-Jul-08 18:52:37

My ds was always like this, only tolerated the pushchair when it was moving when a newborn,the minute it stopped he screamed. Then about 5 months old he just started screaming whether it was moving or not. We had him in the travel system facing us but also tried him in a buggy facing outwards, nothing helped I'm afraid. He just didn't want to be low down and sat still for too long. He always wanted to be carried around, something about the motion and being up high so he could see always seemed preferable than being in a pushchair to him! We releyed upon a sling, I couldn't leave him crying.

At about 10 months he was able to tolerate the pushchair for around 20 mins but with a lot of toys or snacks for distraction, gradually extended it and dared to go out further and further, now can get away with about an hour on a good day with lots of snacks! He's nearly 12 months but had to get a Loola so he could face me so I could easily talk to him and distract him with toys.

He's still not keen on it being still though, I was envy when I saw a young couple out at lunch today with their baby just sat quietly in his pushchair at the side of them! I still couldn't do this now!

No magic solution I'm afraid, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now