Talk

Advanced search

Brushing teeth - 14months old

(8 Posts)
america Fri 25-Jul-08 10:12:51

My son has loved brushing his own teeth since they first cut through. Now however, he all of the sudden he refuses to brush his teeth. It gets even worse if I try to brush his teeth and his hitting me and screaming his head off. Any ideas on how to clean his teeth without traumatising scene twice a day?

Spotsanddots Fri 25-Jul-08 10:31:47

My daughter was like this for a while. We went shopping and she chose a new brush, which helped. We let her put the toothpaste on the brush with help. Brushed her dolls teeth etc.
Another thing that worked well, was just leave the brush on the side where she could get it, with the paste on it and my daughter often did it her self as we werent pressurising her. When she was in the bath, we would just leave it on the side and see if she picked it up. We bought a special mirror for the bath, so she could see herself brushing her teeth.
A friend of mine bought a timer, and set it for one minute and made it a gae to race an dbrush their teeth.

Its such a nightmare as you worry about their teeth, but you cant make them do it!

Hope these suggestions help and best of luck

LUCIA22 Fri 25-Jul-08 13:05:45

My Dd is 14 months and I let her hold the brush and do it herself but she just chews it really and sucks the tooth paste off. When I try to brush them for her she gets very aggitated and refuses to open her mouth.I am sure that they are not getting cleaned properly.

TJ1976 Fri 25-Jul-08 13:11:26

My ds was the same as your 14 month old. It's a sign of independance and wanting to do things their way. If she is putting the brush in her mouth with some paste then I guess its better than nothing. She will soon go back to wanting to be like mummy and brush her teeth. Maybe brush your own teeth with her with you. My son started to want to brush his teeth form 2 yrs old and likes acting the big boy. It goes in round abouts. Good luck!

Sazisi Fri 25-Jul-08 13:19:01

I give DD3 (nearly 18m) the brush, and encourage her while her sisters brush theirs but she really just chews it hmm
I usually end up having to pin her to my lap wiht one arm and gently go for it while she screams..

Ruthie66 Fri 25-Jul-08 15:07:37

My 2 spend more time chewing the brush than actually brushing. I asked my dentist and she said that chewing would get some plaque off and that the fluoride in baby toothpaste would be good for their teeth. She said just getting into a habit of cleaning twice a day was important and not to worry too much. Hope this helps

Sunshinemummy Fri 25-Jul-08 15:08:42

You can get a special chewing toothbrush from Waitrose. I let DS use it once a day and we brush his teeth with the proper toothbrush the other time.

woodstock3 Sat 26-Jul-08 20:18:39

we have the same problem. ds likes the taste of toothpaste and chewing it off the brush, he just doesnt like me brushing - but we have had some success with letting him brush my teeth while i brush his (this does mean putting up with having an incompetently wielded toothbrush poked up your nose, but hey)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now