Talk

Advanced search

Forgetting child in car???

(33 Posts)
MumOfOne73 Thu 24-Jul-08 10:48:33

Did anyone see this in the Times today:
www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4387236.ece

I don't believe this for a minute - I don't think it's possible to not realise that you have a toddler with you - even if the child was asleep, you would see them surely??

sarah293 Thu 24-Jul-08 10:49:35

Message withdrawn

DustyTV Thu 24-Jul-08 10:52:32

OMG, how does it happen, how do you forget your baby in the back of the car. Poor little girl sad

mamadiva Thu 24-Jul-08 10:53:58

How did the DD get into his car? If he didn't know she was there pressumably she was put there and noone told him. Bit shocking really.

There was another thread on this too will find it.

wheresthehamster Thu 24-Jul-08 10:55:39

A mother did this last year I think. Blame tinted windows and a distracted, busy lifestyle. Poor parents - what a tragedy.

I forgot I had one of my DDs in the car once and nearly died of heart failure when she spoke to me! I was in a little world of my own. I could have got out of the car and not seen her because our windows are black.

mamadiva Thu 24-Jul-08 10:58:25

This is the other thread

MumOfOne73 Thu 24-Jul-08 11:03:38

thanks for the link mamadiva.

Maybe this proves that people should NOT mind their own business - perhaps whenever we see a child in a car, or anything similar, we should not just pass by, but try to find a policeman, report it - basically just do something...

mamadiva Thu 24-Jul-08 11:18:13

I know it makes me slightly horrified when I think about the amount of times I have seen this at the supermarket and been disgusted but not said anything.

It's not the same thing but on Tuesday afternoon I was on my way to nursery with DS on bus, when three girls around 11(ish) got on with a pram each and a toddler each. As far as I could tell they were all brothers and sisters, one of the toddlers said 'I want mummy and daddy and the older girl said 'mummy and daddy are at work they'll be home after dinner' then one of the other older girls said what's for dinner tonight and the girl says I've got money you can go to the chippy.

I felt so sorry for them but I got off at the bus station and so did ythey and driver somehow managed to get them all into station office when I wenbt back an hour later they were still sitting. Don't know what they happened though I hope they got it sorted.

Hannah81 Thu 24-Jul-08 11:40:27

I hate leaving my kids in the car to pay for petrol - i usually just pay at the pump, to avoid going into the petrol station, but to intentionally leave them in a car and go into a supermarket, is ridiculous. These poor parents that forget their child is in the car, must be beside themselves, and what the child went through while trapped in that overheating car doesn't bear thinking about.

I agree with MumOfOne, if we see a child on their own in a car we should report it. what if they have been forgotten about? If we get a mouthful of abuse from the parent then so what, at least their child is alive.

this is so sad, I can't imagine ever forgetting my children, but I am a full time mum, so I only have them to think about. I run my own small business too, but there's no stress involved so my mind doesn't get distracted (thankfully).

lucyellensmum Thu 24-Jul-08 12:25:59

This is awful, those poor children and poor parents

Nighbynight Thu 24-Jul-08 12:30:50

When I was a child, we used to go to the Royal show every year, and every year the car parks were plastered with posters saying Dogs die in hot cars.

maybe there should be more posters around in supermarket car parks, saying Children/Dogs die in hot cars, to raise peoples awareness.

chipmonkey Thu 24-Jul-08 12:34:46

I have been on my merry way to work occasionally and suddenly realised that I had forgotten to make the nursery drop-off and ds3 was still in the back of the car!blush But ds3 is the type to make his presence felt so it usually wouldn't be for too long!

nappyaddict Thu 24-Jul-08 12:36:40

i have done this. gone to the supermarket, locked car door, gone to get trolley. on the way to get trolley thought shit i've left ds in the car.

Roskva Thu 24-Jul-08 15:13:33

Good grief, those poor, poor babies sad

nappyaddict Thu 24-Jul-08 15:31:27

Roskva - did you get your valentines swap from me cos i didn't see you post to say you'd got it and i was worried it had gone missing.

Roskva Fri 25-Jul-08 10:43:17

yes, I did, thank you, and I really enjoyed using it smile. I thought I had posted to say thanks blush

nappyaddict Fri 25-Jul-08 15:26:46

no problem ' i can´t even remember what it was now lol. are you taking part in the summer holiday swap.

Roskva Fri 25-Jul-08 18:58:32

haven't seen the thread for that one

nappyaddict Fri 25-Jul-08 21:48:25

here you are although not sure if it is too late.

Starmummy Sun 27-Jul-08 14:52:12

Hannah I never wanted to leave DS in the car when I paid for petrol so I used to take the car seat out and take him with me. Then I left him in the shop, straight out of the petrol station into a one way system!! Fortunately not a big one and I was there in less than 2 mins, however it was the longest 2 mins of my life. Ds now 12 and loves to remind me blush. I can only blame it on the fact that I was so tired and he never slept but he did on this occassion so I guess because I didnt hear him I just forgot.

Awful for those parents.

lisad123 Sun 27-Jul-08 15:10:26

i nearly forgot to pick up DD1 from nursery before blush but never forgot they were in the car. Those poor babies

catweazle Sun 27-Jul-08 20:30:44

There were a few of these last year too. I can understand how you might forget initially that the child is in the car, but surely during the day you'd suddenly realise you didn't stop at the childminder?

I've done that with other things. I'll be thinking about something else and my mind will start replaying the journey (or whatever). Why wouldn't you remember at some point during the day?

Pheebe Mon 28-Jul-08 19:31:47

Message withdrawn

lizinthesticks Tue 29-Jul-08 20:43:42

Message withdrawn

elmoandella Tue 29-Jul-08 20:46:51

i'm the opposite. when i get in car without kids i check on them, hae a heart attack when i see car seat empty. then realise i'm having me time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now