Talk

Advanced search

Flaky Papery Toenails - 17 Mths Old

(13 Posts)
Babapapa Wed 23-Jul-08 12:01:57

Has anyone else experienced this? I have never needed to cut my LO's toenails as they are tiny and don't seem to grow. They have now turned really flaky and papery looking - as an adult's toes would look if they had a fungal infection. However the dr ruled this out and prescribed some multi-vitamins in case of a vitamin D deficiency - but she didn't know for sure what was causing it.

She has refused to drink milk for the last 2/3 months but eats/drinks very well in other respects and I give her a lot of cheese, yoghurts, rice puddings and other dairy to compensate for the lack of milk plus milkshakes/smoothies when out...

Anyway, just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this...

anotherdayyetanothernickame Wed 23-Jul-08 13:54:13

Ds' toenails are like this too...not sure why. He is 3 and hasn't really had much milk for ages and ages but seems to have a reasonable amount of dairy. Interested to see what others say.

MabelMay Wed 23-Jul-08 14:00:10

My DS's toenails are also like this. He is 2.5 years old. I've never cut them. I thought it was just an age thing and that they'd get harder as he gets older, but am I wrong? Also interested to see other opinions...

Babapapa Wed 23-Jul-08 15:00:00

Oh, that's interesting. I hope somebody can shed some light on it! Can't find anything about it in my books or even on the net...

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Wed 23-Jul-08 15:01:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueBumedFly Wed 23-Jul-08 15:18:33

I have never cut DDs toenails either and she is 15 months. I thought it was a bit strange but guessed it was an age thing?

BlueBumedFly Wed 23-Jul-08 15:20:34

...sorry, not very constructive, what I meant to say is that DD has non-growing toenails and she lives on milk,... and very little else! She has never been a big eater but I have always known she would top up on milk. She is not a great 'dairy and eggs' type of a child apart from milk however.

Babapapa Wed 23-Jul-08 16:38:05

BlueBumedFly - sounds like she is probably getting enough calcium through her milk consumption so hopefully I can rule out the milk link with my LO.

It isn't just that they aren't growing, it's that they are all white and crumbly looking (sorry bit gross!)... is that the same with yours?

BlueBumedFly Wed 23-Jul-08 16:43:21

Yes, DDs seem to peel if that is the right description. I have just started a post as DD has Silent Reflux and I have to give Ranitidine and Gaviscon which make her constipated. Does your LO suffer any of those things?

Off for the Nursery pick up now, will log in later )

deaconblue Wed 23-Jul-08 17:23:52

ds has funny toenails too. never cut them as they kind of peel before they are long enough to cut. he has plenty of milk, cheese etc so I don't think it's that. has been like this since birth and his 9 year old cousin is the same so I just thought t was afamily thng

Babapapa Thu 24-Jul-08 06:35:57

okay I'm less concerned about this now that it doesn't seem to be so uncommon. The dr didn't really say much about it apart from prescribe the vitamins which I think will be a nightmare to give her.

BlueBumedFly - DD had moderate reflux til about 5/6 months though she was never given any medication for it.

BlueBumedFly Thu 24-Jul-08 11:10:54

Babapapa - which vitamins have you been prescribed? Only that we were prescribed vits when DD was not thriving and they had PEANUT oil in them!!! Step-DD is anaphylactic to peanuts so I was furious beyond belief as DD may also be allergic but we won't know until her has her nut challenge. (Step DD and DD share a Daddy so there is a chance of a link)

Weegle Thu 24-Jul-08 11:15:29

my 2.2 DS has the same - been like it all his life. Never bothered me enough to worry but I agree they do look a little strange and always "shredded" if that makes sense. Finger nails fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now