Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bedtime yelling in 3 year old dts

(7 Posts)
AquaBoo Tue 22-Jul-08 19:39:30

Hi, first time poster. I have dts, 3.3, who get overtired at nursery and then yell for up to 2 hours while we're putting them to bed. Not sure how best to handle it. Thanks for any ideas.

RubySlippers Tue 22-Jul-08 20:55:07

what time do you put them to bed?

AquaBoo Tue 22-Jul-08 21:40:46

As soon as possible after getting them home from nursery (at 6-6.15ish). I try to have them in bed soon after 7, but it's often after 8 by the time they both settle.

RubySlippers Wed 23-Jul-08 07:59:43

do they nap at all at nursery?

are they grumpy and cross from the minute you bring them home?

if so, i would forget a bath unless they are totally filthy and get them to bed at 6.45 ish - lots of quiet time if possible and nothing too over stimulating - may help them wind down a bit?

posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 08:02:21

could you read stories and play for a bit instead of putting them to bed as soon as you walk in the door? might calm them down a bit

AbbeyA Wed 23-Jul-08 08:13:52

I would do a wind down activity before you start putting them to bed. Also have a routine with a bath and a story in bed.

AquaBoo Wed 23-Jul-08 09:22:55

Thanks for your replies. No they don't nap at nursery (it's really not encouraged in their group (3-5 year olds)), although they do have some quiet time. I think this is a big part of the problem and that a nap in the day would really help. Yes, often grumpy and cross from the minute they get home (or even in car on way back) - or at least one of them is, and that sets off the other.

Bedtime routine does involve a bath and a story if they're calm enough, but often one or both of these gets ditched. I might try getting a DVD that they only watch at bedtime, to put on as soon as we get home. I could get them ready for bed when they're watching it and then have stories afterwards. Might keep them calmer. The main problem is that when they get grumpy they fight with each other for my attention, and the slightest annoying thing from the other one sets them off again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now