Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Brum addiction

(21 Posts)
igivein Tue 22-Jul-08 12:35:16

Over the last few days ds 22 months) has developed an addiction to watching Brum over and over again, and throws a complete tanty when I turn it off.
Do I:
a) let him watch it as much as he wants and hope he gets bored of it before he starts school
b)let him watch it a couple of times and put up with the tanty
c)make him go 'cold turkey' and ban it altogether.
And why did it have to be Brum fgs - it drives me up the wall! If he had to get obsessed with a programme why couldn't it be Charlie and Lola?

RubySlippers Tue 22-Jul-08 12:37:01

hahahaha!

my DS LOVES Brum; i find it deeply odd

i sympathise with the addiction - i posted on here about DS's bruce springsteen addiction (he was around the same age as your DS) and it seems to have passed

i think the consensus was that it was about order and routine which they find comforting

it is also totally usual behaviour

igivein Tue 22-Jul-08 12:38:43

Glad to hear he's normal - it's just me that's going insane!

Celery Tue 22-Jul-08 12:39:01

All three of mine were addicted to Brum at around about this age. Don't worry, it passes.

halster Tue 22-Jul-08 12:39:35

I share your pain. My 23 month old dd is similarly obsessed. You can get Brum toy cars in Woolies. Would he play with that rather than watch the TV?

bogwobbit Tue 22-Jul-08 12:41:28

Sounds perfectly normal to me. My ds had various 'obsessions' including Noddy - when he was about 2. He would sob inconsolably (sp?) when the episode finished.
Now he is 10 his obsessions relate mostly to sport and cars.

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 12:42:05

Mine loves Brum too - although is fine with it not being on the TV (easily distracted into watching show jumping hmm). You can print off colouring sheets and stuff from the [www.brum.tv] website. I can't stop singing the stupid song though

igivein Tue 22-Jul-08 12:43:57

Thanks halster I'll give it a go, but I've got a sneaking suspicion he'll sit clutching the toy Brum whilst watching the telly!

theyoungvisiter Tue 22-Jul-08 12:47:19

oh dear - I sympathise - DS (25 months) has this too.

Although he does get oddly frightened and sits there whimpering "oh dear!" when all the things go wrong and the baddies start to get away.

Botbot Tue 22-Jul-08 12:50:02

I can watch the end song of Brum again and again, just to catch the hilarious bit with the bloke in the suit swivelling his hips and licking his lips. It makes dp and I crack up every time. In a 'What is he DOING?' sort of way.

Kewcumber Tue 22-Jul-08 12:50:25

mine is the same with Peppa pig - I ration it.

hazeyjane Tue 22-Jul-08 13:19:03

Botbot, that bit freaks me out everytime i see it. For some reason, he looks like he might have women's underwear on (or am i just odd?). I love the big bloke in dungerees line dancing, makes me laugh every time (dd1 loves brum too, and spends every episode going, 'oh no mummy look, oh no!', it is high drama for toddlers!)

Egg Tue 22-Jul-08 13:42:04

Mine watches Balamory over and over and over and over....... and it is not different episodes, it is the bloody CHRISTMAS DVD. He is obsessed.

He goes through stages though, he was watching Toy Story twice a day for about 3 months. At least that's a good film though.

sorryihaventaclue Tue 22-Jul-08 15:43:33

had to laugh out loud we had same with Brum - especially the song at the end - DS's behaviour ended up so bad we made him go cold turkey. Even now (3 months on) he will walk aimlessly around going "beep beep" and pointing at the telly. We tell him Brum's in bed. He's the same with the hoover, we have to give him limited access.

fishnet Tue 22-Jul-08 15:49:12

My nephew had a Brum addition which lasted for ages. He had a variety of Brum toys. My favourite was always " bit bigger than medium Brum" (he was the size in between medium Brum and Big Brum).

DS1 is Toy Story addicted having been through first a fireman Sam phase and then a Diego phase. DS1 is showing early signs of a teletubbies fixation.

ceebee74 Tue 22-Jul-08 15:53:29

Lol at this - I was discussing with DH the other day what it is about the Ragdoll programmes (Teletubbies, ITNG, Brum etc) that turn children into zombies?? There aren't many programmes that DS (2) sits and watches (he is usually running round causing havoc instead) but Brum and ITNG have him absolutely captivated.

Any thoughts? Are there some subliminal messages being transmitted that only babies/toddlers understand grin?

stleger Tue 22-Jul-08 15:55:58

My ds is 16. he still points out 'Car Brums' if we see a vintage car!

Botbot Tue 22-Jul-08 15:57:02

Yep, that man is deffo wearing women's underwear.

Seona1973 Tue 22-Jul-08 19:29:28

dd (21 months) currently has a Dumbo/Pingu addiction. The first time he watched Dumbo he cried when Dumbo had to leave his mummy locked up alone in the carriage but I got him past that by assuring him he would get his mummy back again. Now we get endless repetition of 'mama', 'baby', Dudo (how he says dumbo)and 'back, back' as he now knows Dumbo always gets his mummy back. Bit sick of it myself though!! Dont mind Pingu either, some of them are quite amusing.

forevared Wed 23-Jul-08 14:53:20

I sympathise. While we haven't discovered the delights of Brum yet, we went through fixations on Bob the Builder, Thomas the tank engine, then Pingu, now Fireman Sam. It usually only lasts 3 or 4 months with my ds, until he finds something else. I have to confess here though, I actually quite enjoy Pingu!
I did use to ration it though, otherwise we would have spent the entire day watching TV. If (big if) you can distract him with something else he loves to do that might avoid or shorten the tantrum. I have been known to resort to bribery quite often to avoid the screaming temper.
Fortunately the weather is meant to be great all week so hopefully us mums might actually be able to set foot outdoors with our little ones.

igivein Wed 23-Jul-08 15:00:59

I'm trying to ration it to a session at teatime. The rest of the time I tell him Brum's not there, and he looks inconsolable and points at the TV saying 'car car', but he seems to have got the message that it can't be on all the time. (fingers crossed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now