Talk

Advanced search

******calling all parents of 5 year olds*****

(24 Posts)
ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 22-Jul-08 11:02:53

Would your five year old sneak out of bed, fill a glass with liquid soap and water, drink some and then lie through his/her teeth about doing so?

Seriously, would / could this conceivably happen in your house?>

Gobbledigook Tue 22-Jul-08 11:05:32

No

Doodle2U Tue 22-Jul-08 11:05:57

Yes but she'd trip herself up on the lie because she's crap at lying!

notnowbernard Tue 22-Jul-08 11:06:26

My 4.6 yr old probably would, yes

If not the soap and water thing, then something along those lines

VictorianSqualor Tue 22-Jul-08 11:08:49

Possibly.
But she'd have admitted it eventually.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 22-Jul-08 11:11:30

yes definately but she also is very bad at lying!!!

"why is daddy's shaving foam all over the bathroom dd?"
"i dont know i have been in my bedroom all morning and i havent been playing with the shaving foam and i didnt try to give baby born a shave either!"
"daddy didnt leave his razors out again did he? you know you are not to play with those daddy is very naughty for not putting them away"
"no daddy had put it up high and i have already told you me and baby born have been in bedroom! we havent been in the bathroom"

hmm

or

"dont tell daddy that mummy bought you a new coat, tell him its last years"
and then when daddy gets home the first thing she says is
"do you like my rain coat? its for camping. mummy didnt buy it at tesco its out of the cuboard. we havent even been to tesco today have we mummy?"

AtheneNoctua Tue 22-Jul-08 11:12:13

yes.

Especially if confronted by a disgruntled mummy who was obviously seeking a confession.

Would probably break down and confess under threat of never going to another birthday party.

But, might also stand her ground with award winning poker face.

wishingchair Tue 22-Jul-08 11:20:50

yes

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 22-Jul-08 11:22:15

phew

So I'm NOT spawning malevolent little demons, I just have friends with preternaturally well behaved children.

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 22-Jul-08 11:22:44

No, however he would probably empty the soap out into something else, but he would then just own up to it the minute he did it.

FluffyMummy123 Tue 22-Jul-08 11:22:56

Message withdrawn

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 22-Jul-08 11:25:04

he was frothing at the bloody mouth, for God's sake! he stank of lavender! I told him I could see the soap in the glass, that I could smell the soap on his breath, and still he denied it!

have taken all gamecube time away for 3 days for doing it (when he should have been in bed!) and an additional 4 days for lying about it.

notnowbernard Tue 22-Jul-08 11:25:20

Mine helped herself to a sachet of Calpol the other day shock Then said she didn't do it (despite having the evidence right beside her)

She went through the wash bag whilst I was unpacking (we were camping at the time)

AtheneNoctua Tue 22-Jul-08 11:28:31

Your 5 year old has a game cube?

Oblomov Tue 22-Jul-08 11:38:34

No.
Sometimes i ask him something, he says no. I say "really". His head falls. Incapable liar.

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 22-Jul-08 11:41:05

yes, my five year old has a game cube.

Bink Tue 22-Jul-08 11:42:17

I do think, though, that as sly events in the night go, he has neatly done himself a poetic justice. Who would choose to gargle & froth with soapy lavender slime, really?

I would have been cross about the lying, but not much at all about the ingestion of the soap - unless a mess was made at the same time. I think the principle being that (unless there was a mess) he has affected no-one but himself.

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 22-Jul-08 11:44:14

well, I punished him for the soap - gargling because I don't want him to think it's ok to put bathroom chemicals in his mouth. I have told him this before, I have told him the possible consequences, but he doesn't listen a jot to anything that comes out of my mouth.

GooseyLoosey Tue 22-Jul-08 11:44:58

He wouldn't drink soap, but he would do equally sneaky things.

About 2 weekends ago, he and dd got up at around 6.00am, went down to the kitchen and glued my moblie phone (which I am always checking for work reasons and which lives on the windowsill to get any reception) to the window. During the enquiry which followed, both he and dd maintained that it must have been burglars who had done it.

As I am fairly sure that no self respecting thief would steal nothing but stop to glue my phone to a window, we sat around the table in silence with me refusing to make breakfast or do anything else until a more plausible story emerged.

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 22-Jul-08 11:47:17

GL that's hilarious!

cornsilk Tue 22-Jul-08 11:49:34

Loads of kids do this type of thing, that's why they have child proof lids on the really nasty stuff like bleach. You friends chn are aliens.

Bink Tue 22-Jul-08 11:50:19

Yes, you're right of course GP, I'd forgotten he's only 5.

I was thinking of my 9yo (who'd do things like this, but has enough residual vestiges of sense to distinguish b/w soap/shampoo/toothpaste & things that are dangerous).

Nemoandthefishes Tue 22-Jul-08 11:54:11

Ds wouldnt do that but he is a liar even when evidence is in his face..think its normal of the age

GooseyLoosey Tue 22-Jul-08 12:04:22

BGP - yes it was quite hard not to laugh at the sight of it stuck on the window. However, it became much easier when trying to peel it off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now