Talk

Advanced search

is it too soon to introduce potty training?

(9 Posts)
lydiathetattooedlady Tue 22-Jul-08 07:48:22

my dd is 16 months and has started loudly anouncing when she's about to have a pooh! now she's becoming aware of what she's doing should we be looking at introducing a potty or is she still too young?

isaidno Tue 22-Jul-08 07:53:40

still a bit young imo; you could get a potty so it becomes familiar to her, but you will find training more difficult at this age than you will in 6 mths or so.
I think optimum age is around 27 mths.

horseymum Tue 22-Jul-08 21:03:47

no definitely not too soon, my dd is 1 year and some days is clean/dry all day as we sit her on the potty at each change. it is a shame to make your dd do it in her nappy when she is so aware. let her use the potty at each change but be very low key - we find loads of praise when something goes in the potty but no comment if it goes in nappy. dd loves going on potty. imho it can only be a good thing, although people will on about it being too young to train etc etc, you are not really training, just allowing her the chance to be more comfortable and hopefully preventing the endless nightmare of refusing to go on potty etc that you rad so much of on here. any other questions, just ask!

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 21:07:40

She may e aware that she needs to o a poo - but is she aware that she has done/needs to do/is doing a wee.

I think bowel control comes before bladder control and even though she has control of her bowels she may not have control of her bladder.

It doesn't rule out you trying though, but if it doesn't work don't be afraid/ashamed to go back to nappies/

noonki Tue 22-Jul-08 21:15:31

not too young,

my ds started pt at 17 months, and though we often put him in nappies we saved loads by putting on the potty when he needed a poo,

we just had one around and kept him naked loads and it was up to him

he was potty trained eventually at about 2.3

negatively it took ages
positively saved loads of nappies and he loved it

be v positive and ignore all accidents and if it doesn't happen do it later

podsquash Tue 22-Jul-08 22:15:09

I am interested in this as my daughter is 18 months and is happy to do wees on the potty but doesn't seem to know when she is about to do a poo! So not sure whether to persevere or not. Feel like we could be in or a long haul.

horseymum Wed 23-Jul-08 14:37:42

pod squash - does she have a fairly predictable poo time eg just after breakfast or similar - you could try to sit her on potty then. i would just keep doing what you are doing, it is not a long haul, just a (imo) more gentle one, it really is no more effort at all just to pop them on potty and all the better if it is one less wee in nappy, she may not 'train' fully any earlier but it will hopefully have been more relaxed for both of you.

BlueberryPancake Wed 23-Jul-08 15:23:18

It's not too early, we had a potty since DS was 18 months, and he would sit on it with his clothes on when he was doing a poo!!! But we still waiteduntil he was 2.3 before we startedtaking his nappy off. I just think that there's really no pressure, and the good thing is that he was out of nappies within a few days once he figured it out. If you start too young, `it t`akes ages.

mistlethrush Wed 23-Jul-08 15:27:38

We had potty time morning and night from about this age (combined with reading a book) and as it usually tallied with regular poo, started having much nicer nappies generally! We used washables, so that was very positive, but we were not desperate to get him out of them due to cost. However, he basically went properly potty trained over weekend at 2.2 - didn't have to take the week off work that I was expecting to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now