Talk

Advanced search

DD is 1 and will not go in the pram...

(31 Posts)
mamachat Sun 20-Jul-08 22:21:44

When I take her out she will go in the pram for 1/2hour max.

After that I either carry her everywhere (which I always do) or leave her in the pram to cry (she gets completely histerical).

I was out at a fair and had to carry her the whole time. Apart from when family members tried to hold her for a few mins at a time untill she cried and moaned because she wanted me...

She is so clingly and hates the pram, everyone says things like 'just put her in the pram and let her cry'. I hate the crying and can't do that in a very public place.

Also she has got a strong personality and will work her self into a state if I leave her there and cry so much she starts chocking...

And good advice out there? Anyone got similar problems??

juuule Sun 20-Jul-08 22:24:20

Would a sling help?

Seona1973 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:29:58

give her food/drink/toys to encourage her to stay in it a bit longer?

Tapster Sun 20-Jul-08 22:31:36

I've had the same with my DD since she was born and now 20 months. Only way in is to bribe her with drink/food. It is frustrating - I used a sling alot up to a year but she is big for her age and I'm only 5ft and it got too much. Now she is walking more. I've got a trike which I use much more than the pushchair which I push with a handle - I couldn't live without it.

snotbuster Sun 20-Jul-08 22:33:45

Is it a pram that she has to lie down/recline in? My DS hated his and was much happier in a pushchair that he could sit upright in - wanted to be able to see what was going on I think! Was also better when given small toys/food or a drink.

If you're talking about her hating being in the pram when you're out clothes shopping I sympathize but have no advice. DS wouldn't put up with this for more that 30 minutes either. I just gave up doing it in the end (and was very unfashionable for a couple of years!).

mamachat Sun 20-Jul-08 22:50:13

I have a yamo baby carrier which you can use upto 5years, but me back is sooo bad atthe moment and getting worse as dd gets bigger... So can't really use that..

dd can sit up or lie back in the pram and still is not happy... I do try to give her food drink etc, sometimes works but most of the time it doesn't.

She just arches her back so I can't get her in.

I feel embarrassed around friends and family as I know they all think it is ridiculas that I push a empty pram and carry dd... sad

mamachat Sun 20-Jul-08 22:51:22

Also tried her in one of those trikes in toysrus and she didn't stay on it oo long, toys she gets bored with easily..

mamachat Sun 20-Jul-08 22:52:29

Thanks for the replys, it really helps to know others have this problem to, I just feel so useless...

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:01:41

Mamachat don't worry about what others think I know it's hard but whatever works for u and ur DD is the main thing.

My DS has never minded his pram but I have a friend whos child hates them and she bought a cosy coupe with a oarent handle which seems to have calmed her a bit but some children just don't like being pushed around it's not that ur useless just that all children are different u r doing the best u can.

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:02:10

Sorry if I missed it but how old is ur DD?

mamachat Sun 20-Jul-08 23:07:46

dd is 1 now.. the thing is its not working for me as my back is really bad and i would love her to stay in the pram..

bluenosesaint Sun 20-Jul-08 23:12:48

What sort of pram is it? Can you put her rear-facing so that she can see you? Maybe she is going through a bit of a clingy phase and would be reassured by being able to see you all the time?

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:14:19

Oops soz didn't even realise age was in OP I read as DD1 for some reason LOL.

Does the pram sit up properly? some pushchairs only half sit up and toddlers would rather be upright. And perhaps try a rearward facing pram?

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:15:49

X post with bluenose LOL rearward may be an idea though. ELC do a driving wheel thingy that clips onto the pram maybe something like that would keep her ammused.

mamachat Sun 20-Jul-08 23:18:07

her pram cannot be rear facing, but maybe that would be a good idea, she is on her second pram at the moment as had the quinny zapp that did not lie down at all..

Her pram can sit straight up tho..

bluenosesaint Sun 20-Jul-08 23:19:09

any excuse is a good excuse for a new pram wink

grin

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:19:22

Do you know anyone with a rear facing pram you could try before buying?

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:20:52

Yes in my case anyway lol. Am on 3rd now

DS was in rear facing pram until he was a year was an Emmaljunga Cerox great pram but exppensive and he's outgrown it now.

bluenosesaint Sun 20-Jul-08 23:27:45

3rd??? still plenty of time for more wink

mamachat Sun 20-Jul-08 23:28:32

no I don't know anyone with a rear facing pram but it is def a good idea, I will search online to see if there are any cheaper versions...

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:29:08

heehee am trying for a lightweigt one now but DP is not amused lol is only for holidays or the odd trip to inverness etc.

Cant think iof any rear facing pushchairs of the top if my head mamachat.

bluenosesaint Sun 20-Jul-08 23:29:45

Try ebay mamachat - many a bargain to be had smile

good luck

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:32:56

The Hauck infinity looks quite good although is about £200 and is quite large folded.

mamachat Sun 20-Jul-08 23:33:35

i will look on ebay - thanks

youngbutnotdumb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:34:08

http://www.ciao.co.uk/HauckInfinity__Review5722064 am useless at links but this page has a review

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now