Talk

Advanced search

8 month old shaking head - defiant already?!

(17 Posts)
Greedygirl Sun 20-Jul-08 21:06:52

My DS has taken to shaking his head, of course I don't really think he is saying no but just wondered if I ought to go and get him checked out at the doctors (thought he might have something wrong with his ears) or if he has just learned how to shake his head and feels compelled to keep practising. Is this normal?

sazzerbear Sun 20-Jul-08 21:11:25

My ds did this for a while, it seemed to be a phase, the doctor said he was just practising a new skill that he had learnt!

Greedygirl Sun 20-Jul-08 21:14:11

Cool - thought this was the case! And I am always shaking my head at him because my ponytail makes him giggle!

beansprout Sun 20-Jul-08 21:15:06

Aw, sounds like he is copying you.

foxymolly Sun 20-Jul-08 21:16:50

He's just copying you.
My dd (9 months) started clapping today for the first time, she's copying me and dp who clap everytime we praise her.
She's spent all day clapping, her hands must be a little sore by now!

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 20-Jul-08 21:17:36

DD2 does this too. I mentioned it to a paediatrician (we were seeing her for other reasons) but she didn't suggest anything (although she did mention it in her report, i.e. that mum mentioned the baby head shaking). I think it's just a phase, although I don't remember the others doing it.

Greedygirl Sun 20-Jul-08 21:23:49

Well he doesn't quite get the same effect as me as his is a baldy baby! How sweet Foxy, little pink hands! I'll have to see what else I can teach him as the shaking head thing looks a bit bizarre.

foxymolly Sun 20-Jul-08 21:25:05

It's very cute to watch. I think its amazing what they pick up so young

violetsmile Mon 21-Jul-08 08:41:38

My ds did this from 7 months, god knows why but he started saying 'aaaahhhhhhh' at the same time and laughing when his voice went up and down. He still does it now occassionally and he's 11 months!

Puppie Mon 21-Jul-08 12:31:02

My DS has done this for 3 months now. I've done a LOT of reading up on it as I thought it was strange to begin with. It could be that he is enjoying a new skill, he is tired and the motion helps put him to sleep, or he likes feeling dizzy (heh heh that one made me chuckle when HV said it).

Hersetta Mon 21-Jul-08 15:29:49

My DD (10 months) does this and i know she definitely means it. When feeding if she gets to the stage where she doesn't want any more food she shakes her head and waves her hand in front of her face to reinforce the fact that she really doesn't want any more.

Also if she is doing something she should be my husband will normally say 'Caitlin, no' and she shakes her head and says 'nah'. Little minx.

Enraha Mon 21-Jul-08 15:33:54

Oh good, my 7 mo DD does this too, very enthusiastically in fact, so much so that it's not an obvious indication of refusal or copying either. Agree it looks a bit strange at times

MsDemeanor Mon 21-Jul-08 15:47:55

Yes, normal. They like the feeling.

Greedygirl Mon 21-Jul-08 19:18:17

Thank god, he has been shaking his head all around town today and if it wasn't for you lot telling me that it is normal, I would be taking him to see the doctor tomorrow!

edam Mon 21-Jul-08 19:20:17

ds used to do this a lot. Made me feel dizzy just watching him but he loved it. Strange things, kids...

Mamatastic Mon 21-Jul-08 20:45:04

My DS used to do this loads and still does occasionally (he is almost 9 months). He would do it when trying to get to sleep as a kind of self soothing thing. I don't think it means anything sinister, rather just things they are picking up and learning!

FattipuffsandThinnifers Mon 21-Jul-08 21:24:37

My DS also did this from about 8 months till quite recently, he's now 14 months and still does it very occasionally if really tired. It was a bit freaky to see, I also wondered why, but at least I know now he wasn't the only one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now