Talk

Advanced search

3.6 yo doesn't want other children over for playdates

(8 Posts)
Maenad Fri 18-Jul-08 18:00:24

How would you handle this? DD (3.6) is very pleased to have adults over (tries to monopolise them), but is not keen on having other children over. We've just had a particularly bad playdate, where the other little girl kept asking her to come and play with her, but mine just refused most of the time. She wanted to play with me, and she didn't really want to share her toys particularly. I tried to orchestrate games involving both of them, but it did just keep collapsing. My daughter even told the other family that she wanted them to leave blush.

Is it best to persevere in the hope that she will get the hang of this, or is it pointless if she isn't enjoying it?

Anna8888 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:06:23

Normal. Leave it, and try again when she is older. Better to meet up with other parents at the park at this age.

Maenad Fri 18-Jul-08 18:10:22

I'm glad to hear it's normal. All the other children I know seem to disappear in a conspiratorial fashion to play with each other. Mine is the only one who refuses to leave me and go and play with the children.

Anna8888 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:14:44

I think it may depend on how much nursery/pre-school they have done, as well as the temperament of the child.

My DD (3.8) doesn't want children over on their own for playdates but is delighted when other families come round for a meal or when we meet other families in the playground etc. She will play with her older brothers in her/their room for hours.

In her school, playdates haven't taken off yet (despite some attempts by parents).

Maenad Fri 18-Jul-08 18:19:11

Hm, yes, DD has been at nursery for the last year but only 3 mornings. And she is an only child so doesn't even get to practise with older brothers! DC2 is due fairly shortly. I hope she'll get better at sharing after that...

Anna8888 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:25:56

All sounds totally normal and on track, don't worry about it smile

anotherdayyetanothernickame Fri 18-Jul-08 20:37:34

Maenad - ds is 3 and very similar. To be honest I persist with having friends over anyway.

At best he potters about on his own but usually he sticks with me, he much prefers adults so far.

He goes to nursery part time too but if I am around it's different.

Let's hope they get more into other kids soon. It is really awkward if another child bounces over wanting to play with him and he practically ignores them!

HonoriaGlossop Fri 18-Jul-08 21:14:20

agree with Anna, I'd leave it. Blimey, playdates are bad enough when the kids are HAPPY!

I think playdates are un-necessary. Fine if you like them, but not something to make yourself do.

Soon enough when she's at school in a few years she'll be begging to have so and so round after school. It'll happen naturally and I don't think you need to practice it at this age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now