Talk

Advanced search

toddler dd can't deal with being with other children

(6 Posts)
janeashersbookofspacecakes Fri 18-Jul-08 13:56:58

DD is an only child and is fairly placid and well behaved at home. Wer go to various groups and she has a terrible time interracting with other children. Here are some of the situations she dislikes:
- another child takes something of hers, she screams and tears flood out
-playing pass the parcel, she can't believe it when it's not her turn, again screams inconsolably
- it's hard to take her on the slide because she won't climb up till other childrens' turns are over and if they dare climb up behind her, they've broken the rules to her mind so more screaming

Why don't I ever see other children, taking things so to heart. They all seem to casually make there way from one thing to the next with no fuss. In her favour, she's never spiteful and doesn't take from others.

More and more i dread taking her to things. Will she grow out of it soon? She's at pre-school in sept. I wonder if being away from me will help?

ny advice appreciated!

AbbeyA Fri 18-Jul-08 14:02:43

Perhaps she is overfaced by numbers. Can you try inviting one mother and child around? Perhaps even better is to stay on neutral territory and arrange to go to the park with one other friend.Have you got any friends with slightly older children who would play with her.

callmeovercautious Fri 18-Jul-08 14:05:47

I agree with AbbeyA. At Nursery DD is fine but if we have lots of people around the house she freaks out and gets very posessive of everything.

What helped was making friends with one other little girl, she loves her to bits and the other girl is more outgoing so encourages DD into situations she would usually panic over. It is taking time but she is improving.

janeashersbookofspacecakes Fri 18-Jul-08 14:06:22

She does cope better with older children e.g. her cousin, but we don't know any older ones here.

BlueberryPancake Fri 18-Jul-08 14:08:55

How old is she? I think you should make a point of taking her to activities, sharing (i think) is a behaviour that has to be learned, no children like to share but they all respond differently to it. Do you have any good friends with children same age that you can invite over, and encourage your child to play with them, share toys, etc? (even if you have to apologise to the parent!) I don't generally use the word 'sharing' when talking to my kids because it sounds somehow negative, I always ask them to 'play together with' or 'play with'.

janeashersbookofspacecakes Fri 18-Jul-08 14:16:45

She's 2 and a bit. I agree it might be a good idea to see how she is at home with 1 friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now