Talk

Advanced search

7mth old suddenly started to wake at night??

(3 Posts)
nippynappynoo Fri 18-Jul-08 12:18:23

My 7mth old has always been a good sleeper...since he was 8 weeks old he has slept from around 8pm till 8.30/9am. However, over the last month he has started to wake at night...usually around 12-ish and 4-ish but at times it has been every hour or so.

When he wakes he cries until one of us gives him a bottle (he's eating 3 lg meals a day and still drinking 20oz of milk during the daytime so shouldn't think he is still really hungry!).

At first we put this behaviour down to teething...but he has now cut 2 bottom teeth and is showing no signs of returning to his old sleep pattern? Could it be that his teeth are still causing him pain even though they have now cut through the gum? Or am i missing something else really obvious??

If anyone has had any similar experiences or can suggest any way to try to get him sleeping through again i would really love to hear from you...am sooooo exhausted!!

Thanks

desperatehousewifetoo Fri 18-Jul-08 13:06:48

7 month old was a long time ago for me!

When I read you message I was thinking 'hungry' but you say he is having 3 large meals. I know when a friend had the same problem, the HV suggetsed adding more potato to his meals as a filler.

Do you think he has just got used to the extra feeds at night and now expects them? Could you gradually wean him off by giving him less milk each nightime? My dd (was a bit older, I think) within a few days got used to requesting water at night when she had been ill during a hot summer. Once she was better, I realised she had just got into the habit and weaned her off over a few nights.

HTH. I'm sure there are many others who will have some great suggestions.

desperatehousewifetoo Fri 18-Jul-08 13:09:05

Just thought..

When mine were waking and I didn't know if it was teething pain or not, I would try one dose of calpol to see if did the trick. Often, it would take a while for me to do this and I would kick myslef for not trying it sooner when they settled 20mins or so after meds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now