Talk

Advanced search

Dummy or no dummy, please help!!!!!!!!!!

(16 Posts)
aiti72 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:42:57

We had DD1 in Finland where midwives gave a dummy to her(whilst quickly taking her thumb away from her mouth) in the hospital after she was born so we haven't had to think about the dummy issue at all. Now DD2 is one week old (born three weeks early) and it looks like she would need(?!)a dummy, but here in London the midwives seem to be so against it I don't dare to give her oneshock. What is it with dummies here in England, I'm totally confused, we see somewhat more children sucking their thumb here than back home and definately wouldn't want that.. I know all the downsides of having a dummy, but it worked so perfectly with DD1.. If you give a dummy, when do you do that? Any advice/opinions welcome!

Ecmo Thu 17-Jul-08 16:44:34

my ds still sucks his thumb and he is nearly 13. If I'd known I would have given him a dummy when he was a baby. Much easier to take away!

Carmenere Thu 17-Jul-08 16:45:02

If you feel that your child will benefit from a dummy give her one. Have the confidence of your own parenting ability.

slim22 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:52:38

just try and see how it goes

mankymummy Thu 17-Jul-08 16:54:39

my DS never had a dummy and has never sucked his thumb or anything else...

maybe if DC starts sucking the thumb and you really dont want this then offer a dummy at that stage... otherwise may not be necessary at all.

OverMyDeadBody Thu 17-Jul-08 16:56:51

Personally I'd rather my child sucked their thumb han a dummy, but do whatever you feel is best for you and don't worry too much about what the midwives here thing.

Tinkerisdead Thu 17-Jul-08 16:57:28

This thread has made me laugh, my mum is so anti dummies and keeps ranting to me that my PFB on the way, should not have a dummy. Both my and my brother sucked our fingers and had a security blanket!!! We both ended up having teeth out and fixed braces as our teeth were badly affected.. she still preaches. Needless to say i have bought a dummy...just in case!

filthymindedvixen Thu 17-Jul-08 16:58:48

both mine had dummies (otherwise they would have permantently been on my breast)
They both gave them up easily, neither have speech problems or buck teeth or any of the things people warn against. More importantly, they had a mum who wasn't totally tottally exhausted and miserable for months and months and was able to keep breastfeeding....

Do what you feel is best for you and your children.

pedilia Thu 17-Jul-08 16:59:02

None of mine so far have had dummies but DD4 (3 weeks)has one, i'd rather a dummy than thumb, coming from someone who thumb sucked and had years of brace wearing to endure.

OverMyDeadBody Thu 17-Jul-08 17:01:01

Well luckily DS didn't suck his thumb or need a dummy.

The worst thnig is older kids who still have dummies and can't speak properly because the dummy is always in their mouths.

Obviously this is extreme and most babies who have dummies don't go on to use them all the time.

SummatAnNowt Thu 17-Jul-08 17:07:29

Dummy if it works for you! I read when ds was about a week old that you can throw a dummy away but not cut a thumb off, that decided me!

The midwife is not your child's parent!

mummyloveslucy Thu 17-Jul-08 17:07:58

I think that before 2 months or so you can give a dummy because the child can't controll his thumbs properly, but after that they suck there thumbs is they want.
Personally I think thumb sucking looks sweet but dummies look awful. That is just my oppinion. Children usually suck their thumbs when they are tired etc and give it up before 5. It rare that a child carries on sucking it's thumb well in to primary school.

aiti72 Thu 17-Jul-08 17:14:21

Thank you for your replies so far. I would choose dummy over thumb, but just thinking whether DD2 would be one of those (quite rare so I've heard) babies who don't need to suck anything extra. Then again, I'm thinking of this:news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4509240.stm Cannot really try a dummy yet as all the newbrn dummies are too big for her stll..

juuule Thu 17-Jul-08 17:15:46

If you think your dd would benefit from a dummy then try her with one.
I think dummies can look sweet

Loriycs Thu 17-Jul-08 17:22:42

i think dummies/ soothers look awful but if they comfort baby then what does it matter.As long as little one isnt permanantly fixed to it and hinders her speech developement, then it wont be a problem. Its natural for babies to suck. Dont worry about what others think,tell yourself mummy knows best xx

serant Thu 17-Jul-08 17:30:44

I think the current research indicates dummmies are helpful in reducing cot death.

I don't have strong views either way, if a baby settles better with a dummy, why not?

My son loves his!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now