Talk

Advanced search

what word can/could your dc say at 1 year old. dd can only say yeah!

(25 Posts)
robinredbreastmummy Thu 17-Jul-08 14:10:53

she also doesnt wave goodbye either, although she took a few steps the other night

she doesnt say mum dad or anything other than yeah.
seems a bit slow to me

Pavlovthecat Thu 17-Jul-08 14:13:07

Slow? Not slow at all! grin If she can say a word and take a couple of steps at 1 she is doing fab!

My DD could say yes, and no and thats about it for a long time, probably until 18 months or more, then suddenly she learnt how to speak just like that!!!

I would not worry in the slightest, some children can say a few words at 1, many cant even say one word.

At least it is not no!

CatIsSleepy Thu 17-Jul-08 14:14:51

dd didn't really have any proper words til about 17 months
seem to remember no was the first one grin

she is a mini-gasbag now
waving took a while too
and she didn't walk til 14-15 months

bambi06 Thu 17-Jul-08 14:16:12

i wouldnt worry too much,they all develop at different rates, it could be that your dd is concentrating on her walking skills rather than talking,they usually[not always though] concentrate on one area..a little boy i look after who is sOon to be one cAnt say any words yet

constancereader Thu 17-Jul-08 14:19:22

My 18 month only says DA.
He says it very enthusiastically!
I was wondering about starting a thread about if I should be worried yet, but people in RL keep saying that I he is find and they all develop at different times. It is hard not to worry though.

I think your 1 year old sounds fine!

desperatehousewifetoo Thu 17-Jul-08 14:22:14

Your dd sounds perfectly normal to mesmile

robinredbreastmummy Thu 17-Jul-08 14:23:30

thanks, yeah at least its not no!
thats true

MiaMamma Mon 21-Jul-08 15:37:22

My DD didn't say any words until 1y and only few by 18m. Now she's 2.2y and won't stop talking for all day - I do miss those quiet times....

StealthPolarBear Mon 21-Jul-08 15:43:00

very little, maaamaaaa and dada (but still more sounds rather than really words iyswim)
he started saying CASH when his cars crashed at about this time, prob a bit older
just stared to point at stuff, waving and clapping a few months after

belgo Mon 21-Jul-08 15:43:47

My dd1 couldn't say any words at age one. Her first word was at age 18 months.

elmoandella Mon 21-Jul-08 15:49:48

your dc doing well. perfectly normal.

we have dd whos 1yo next week, just had a review.she's what hv calls "social" says up, bubbles, mum, yeah. 4 words. kinda waves. this stage its more sounds than word. for example they can usually go uh-oh if they dropped something (only if thats what you do)

furrycat Mon 21-Jul-08 15:51:39

My second one said around a dozen words including more, again, milk and cup.

LadySanders Mon 21-Jul-08 15:54:23

ds1 said quite a few words by then but all tool/technology related: plug tap and hoover were his first words...

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 15:57:20

DS could only say 'cat' at 12 months old. Then for a few months everything was a cat. Grrrrr drove me bonkers! He's now 21 months old and we have progressed slightly but 'cat' remains a firm favourite in the word department.

ShowOfHands Mon 21-Jul-08 16:00:10

yes
no
mama
dada
up
look
dog
yum
yuk
nana (banana)
milk
gandad
gone
hiya
tickle
ball
row row row (your boat!)
ee i ee i oh (Old MacDonald)
uh oh
duck
car

Plus a few animal sounds on request.

kama Mon 21-Jul-08 16:04:06

Message withdrawn

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 16:07:29

Ooooh check out Showofhands' clever kid!

Lizzylou Mon 21-Jul-08 16:09:09

DS1 said barely anything until he was 2yrs old (handful of words only), so prob nothing at 1, he walked at 11mths and was far more interested in "exploring"
DS2 was saying quite a bit at 1 and talking v well by about 18/19mths, but walked much later.

I'd say your DD sounds perfectly fine! My neighbour's little boy was talking to me nonstop yesterday for about 15mins (and I was in a rush!) he is 3 yrs old and I fully remember this time last year his Mom worrying about his lack of words. Now she says she wishes she'd realised how blissful those "quiet" times were.
Once they start, they never shut up

StealthPolarBear Mon 21-Jul-08 16:09:18

apparently my DH's first word(s) was Christmas tree hmm
Selective memory on MIL's part I feel

TwoFir Tue 22-Jul-08 12:21:31

DS can say there (as in over there) (was his first word at 10 months)
and quack
mamma da dada
and lots of Hellolalala
we dont know why he adds the lalala
he also points to the phone and says t t t t t

there may be more but its hard to work it out

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 22-Jul-08 12:49:25

tha (accompanied with pointing finger) = i want that
no
yeah
mama = mama or dada she can only say one so we are both mama
baabaa = her sisters name
grr = im annoyed
ah ha = im over here amuse me!!

witchandchips Tue 22-Jul-08 12:55:06

dc was only saying mumma at 1, by 18 months was speaking in three word sentences.

LittleMoosh Tue 22-Jul-08 12:56:17

My eldest didn't start talking properly until after he turned 2 (he did have problem with hearing though). My youngest (just turned 19 months) says quite a few words but just one at a time, he doesn't put sentences together. Says things like, fall (when he falls over) pooh pooh/wee, no, yes, dodo (he shouts this when looking for his dummy, as though it's going to jump out and answer him). LOL

keevamum Tue 22-Jul-08 17:34:11

Show of hands I'll raise the bar by saying DD1 was putting 2 words together at 10 months...That's enough, stop it, Shoes on, lets go, more please etcetera. DD2 however, developed much more normally and at 1 was saying 3 words mama dada and cat. Both girls are in the normal range as is the child only talking at 18 months. They are all different and will get there in the end. Still I understand it is worrying unbtil with hindsight when you long for those quiet days.`

orangina Tue 22-Jul-08 17:40:13

I think ds could say "uh oh" and "ba" at 1 year. That was it. Now he's 17 mos and can't say too much more, but says dada, mama, uh oh, dadaa (for thank you), yes, down, and recently (I think), good girl (... yes, he's a boy... but does have an older sister...!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now