Talk

Advanced search

Should my 6 month old be doing this?

(17 Posts)
chloemegjess Wed 16-Jul-08 09:20:54

Hello. I went to toddler group yesterday and some woman "told me off" for my 6month old, who pulls herself up on furniture etc. She said she is too small to do this and would be putting too much presure on her musclses (she is a small baby). However, I am not making her do it, she does it herself. She can quite easily pull herself up on furntiure/large toys...surely I cant stop her? She will also walk when I hold her hands...should I not be doing this?

Confused now!

TigerFeet Wed 16-Jul-08 09:24:43

Well I am no expert but as far as I am concerned the woman is a loon grin. Ignore her. Not many babies can do this at mo but it isn't completely unheard of. If her muscles are strong enough for her to pull herself up then they are not under any excess strain.

TigerFeet Wed 16-Jul-08 09:25:06

"at 6mo"

noonki Wed 16-Jul-08 09:27:28

Of course you can do it- if it was harming her she would stop,

my friends little one was taking first steps at seven months and walking at 8,

my nephew was pulling up at 5 months, he is small, in fact the smaller the easier it is for them, by DS2 was 10kg at 6 bmonths and could move an inch as he was so huge!..

the woman is talking absolute twaddle,
ignore her noisying and let your baby do what she is able!

nappyaddict Wed 16-Jul-08 09:27:39

as long as she can pull herself up then there is no problem with her doing this or you walking her around. i think the woman might have been a bit confused about the advice of not to walk them around when they are small if they can't pull up alone.

belgo Wed 16-Jul-08 09:28:07

Yes ignore her. It's a normal thing to do at this age. I remember my baby yoga teacher telling me off for encouraging dd1 aged 12 weeks to stand - as if you can force a 12 week old to stand! She was just using her legs to push herself up.

chloemegjess Wed 16-Jul-08 09:29:41

great, thank you.

she has just managed to walk along the sofa!!!!

violetsmile Wed 16-Jul-08 10:01:39

If she is able to do it then you can't stop her really!! My ds did this around 7 months and he is fine. DH pulled up at 6 months then walked at 8 months and his legs and joints are in perfect working order!

chloemegjess Wed 16-Jul-08 10:12:10

I thought the woman was talking rubbish! Just wanted to double check, incase I was wrong!

Thank you!

Notanexcitingname Wed 16-Jul-08 11:55:33

well I'd dispute that it's normal and not ahead (my DS was 11 months, and not considered delayed at all ) but honestly, what are you supposed to do, tape her to the floor hmm

If she's doing it herself, it's fine

BabiesEverywhere Wed 16-Jul-08 14:08:22

If she does it herself, it is fine. Bet your DD is sooo sweet

I just searched my blog and found a picture of my 8 month old DD who started to cruise/pull herself up on things here We never encouraged her either.

Mungarra Wed 16-Jul-08 18:58:42

She wouldn't be doing it if she wasn't ready.

I know someone whose daughter walked at 9 months and she's fine.

MrsTiddles Wed 16-Jul-08 19:51:55

I met a baby girl who was walking at 9 mths, she must have been doing this at 6 mths. Everyone is different and like you say it wasn't like you were forcing the poor child up on her feet!

chloemegjess Wed 16-Jul-08 21:59:39

Exactly.

thisisyesterday Wed 16-Jul-08 22:10:52

woman is crazy.
ds1 ws pulling himself up at a similar age, standing unaided at 7 months and walked at 8.5

he is now a strapping 3.5 yr old with no obvious muscle damage lol

ds2 is 8 months and cruising round furniture too, has been able to stand up for ages now as well.

so your dd is absolutely fine, and normal (even if in a bit of a minority)

choccypig Wed 16-Jul-08 22:15:36

Woman is just being competitive, because her little darling can't do it yet.

33k Wed 16-Jul-08 22:20:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now