Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me about your nearly 2 year old ds's.........

(44 Posts)
butwhybutwhy Tue 15-Jul-08 16:42:53

I am really interested to know what other boys ds's age are like and how they behave.

I have a few concerns about his development which I have raised with the HV.
So far they think its all quite normal but they will assess him properly at his 2 year check next month.

So what are your boys like?
Are they talking alot, what words do they say, how is their behaviour generally?

Kewcumber Tue 15-Jul-08 16:46:54

my DS is 2.7 now but at nearly two he said few understandable words and those he did say were single words, no sentences.

His words were train, cat, mum-mum, neenar, yum... ummm not that much more I think.

Behaviour generally was loud energetic but reasonably keen to please. Starting tantrums, he was growing out of his bting phase (thank god) and instead started on a ear pearcing scream if he didn't get what he wanted phase.

Does that help?

myredcardigan Tue 15-Jul-08 16:52:28

DS is 21mths. He is speaking in sentences (3 or 4words) The pronunciation isn'tperfect though. He points usually to demand though he has to tell you about every aeroplane, he tantrums, he fights with his brother, he knows his colours. He can count by rote to 15 but can only actually count to two. He likes pretend play esp being a fireman though is never interested in anything for more that 10mins max. He loves climbing and playing outdoors. Current favourite toys are duplo and a doll.

However, he's my second. The older one's language was nowhere near as well developed and yet he had no S&L problems at all, just wasn't as quick. He had only single words (about 50) until his 2nd birthday. I'd say their play routine were similar though

cmotdibbler Tue 15-Jul-08 16:53:00

DS was two on the 20th of May. He talks a lot, and on his birthday did 2 or 3 word sentences.

V V energetic, not too bad on the tantrum front, but was biting. Knows what he shouldn't be doing, but tries it anyway with a cheeky grin.

ATM, is mostly playing at being a motorcycle display team, or at horses.

Massive variability in them at this age though.

Phono Tue 15-Jul-08 16:53:54

Message withdrawn

Lawrene8 Tue 15-Jul-08 16:57:40

Hi,

DS will be 2 on Monday. He talks a lot and is fairly demanding; "Mummy get it" is his favourite phrase at the moment. He's definately into the tantrum stage as well.

myredcardigan Tue 15-Jul-08 16:58:44

Just wanted to add that at 2, DS1 had the single words as I've said, some peers were very fluent and a couple had few recognisable words. By the time they were all 3 they were pretty much on a par with each other.

Also, I don't know is his language is your concern but if it is then think about his non-verbal communication as that's more important than spoken words at the moment. Does he convey what he wants/needs through gestures? Does he have shared interest? Does he point both to share what he hasseen and to request something he wants? Does he seem to understand you? Can he follow a simple instruction like 'give Mummy your teddy'? If these are all fine then I wouldn't worry too much about spoken language for another few months yet. smile

MuffinMclay Tue 15-Jul-08 16:59:12

Ds1 is 2.2 years. At 2/nearly 2 he understood an awful lot, but didn't use so many words himself. He said things like mummy, daddy, cat, dog, bin, car, and used mainly the first half of longer words (pa for pasta, pate, pay for paper, etc)

Just a few weeks later he chatters away non-stop, and I'm often surprised at what he comes out with. He talks a lot more at home than when we're out and about; I guess he is more distracted then. He does sentences now and sings songs to himself.

Not sure what you have in mind with behaviour. He still has tantrums, but less than he did at 18 months or so. Perhaps that is because he can express himself better?

bookthief Tue 15-Jul-08 17:00:01

Ds is 20 months. He has quite a few words now - virtually all nouns such as cat, car, choo choo, daddy, apple, banana, except really for up, down and bye bye. A couple of months ago he probably had 2 or 3 words.

He's very active but can play by himself quite happily for quite a while. Is starting to have tantrums and it can be difficult to calm him down which is new. He's making it very clear when he doesn't want to do something (shaking his head, making a fuss, hiding in the corner if he doesn't want to go to bed).

He also mostly points if he wants something but will also now point to show things that interest him (cats and trees hmm and cars). He copies everything I do (favourite thing is walking off with my bag over his shoulder and keys in his hand saying bye bye) and will climb up anything to get things he's not allowed if I'm not watching.

MuffinMclay Tue 15-Jul-08 17:00:44

Lots of energy too. He needs to do outside things and run around otherwise he starts getting grouchy. It is true that boys are like dogs imo.

Kewcumber Tue 15-Jul-08 17:00:58

my DS had his 2.5 yr check recently - speech on its own is not an indicator that intervention is needed also vey important (as mentioned) is can he understand simple instructions, can he hear? Can you understand him.

Tutter Tue 15-Jul-08 17:02:32

ds1 a bit older

but i'm here to say that:

at 2.5yo he said zilch and was referred to SALT

by 3yo you couldn't shut him up

he now (3.2yo) has a huge vocabulary

myredcardigan Tue 15-Jul-08 17:04:54

I agree with Tutter. As I said, DS1 had only single words at 2 but by 2.5 he was talking in full sentences having proper conversations. The changes between 2 and 3 are quite dramatic IMO and that year is a great leveller between peers.

anotherdayyetanothernickame Tue 15-Jul-08 17:36:40

Same experience as Tutter.
Ds was only on 1 or 2 word phrases at 2 and I worried. Now at just turned three comes out with enormous sentences of up to 17 or 18 words (!) and long words like immediately (unfortunately as in "mummy I need it immediately"...cheeky little chap).

It seems really common for them to store it all up and then catch up later on with the talkative kids.

MrsTiddles Tue 15-Jul-08 18:29:33

DS currently 22 months. Lots of chatter that's not entirely clear - though I do decipher the odd word or phrase (I'm sure no one else would though) and then odd words here and there. Things he likes, "drink" "car" "Cat" that kind of thing, "stairs" "ketchup"

He's occasionally given to minor tantrums, esp if he's tired and or hungry. They're not severe and they don't last long. He doesn't hit and he doesn't hit back when other kids his age hit him, he backs off and if they hurt him, he runs off. But he's generally quite happy, still interested in pans and books and very interested in other children. He wants to play now, to run and chase and laugh in the park.

He used to be impossible to get out of the bath and recently I've had a real struggle getting him into it.

He's started waking in the night sometimes (never did before) when there is a noise or if he's got cold and needs help with blankets etc. This is phasing out (I think!)

He can eat food himself but likes to be fed if his baby sister is being fed. He understands that he has to do it himself and with some pursuading will do it.

He likes to sit on a big dining chair instead of in a high chair.

I have friends with boys the same age, some are getting a bit aggressive. I think they all try and throw themselves over the side of the sofa (mine too). I did read that there are surges in testosterone at various stages, particularaly with 4 yr olds.

Oh and he's lately found his willy. I think later than other boys who I've read about on here.

Dottoressa Tue 15-Jul-08 18:37:43

At two, my DS was speaking in complex sentences - but it didn't stop him from having hideous, prolonged, screaming-and-kicking tantrums. Oh, the joys...

sweetgrapes Tue 15-Jul-08 19:16:21

I second what myredcardigan says. (Tue 15-Jul-08 16:58:44).

Neither of my kids spoke more than a handful of single words at 2. But the difference in understanding is huge.

If your ds doesn't point, understand much, mime to let you know what he wants etc then DO take it seriously. If he just doesn't talk much - then he'll probably grow out of it.

annoyingdevil Tue 15-Jul-08 20:05:35

My ds is almost two and has just started speaking 3 or 4 word sentences (best understood by me!) His favourites are "what's that?" and "I want it".

He's extremely opiniated, prone to tantrums and loves cuddles. He also climbs and is generally boisterous (but no more so than DD was at the same age)

TheProvincialLady Tue 15-Jul-08 20:24:28

DS is 22m and speech wise, he talks in 3 or 4 word sentences, using lots of words, but is only clearly understood by me. A lot of his more complex words are just repetitions of the same sound, like holiday is holholhol! He surprises me with lots of new words and phrases every day.

He doesn't show the remotest interest in any other children, though some of his peers seem interested in each other and sort of play together eg chasing. My DS only interacts so far as to say "NOOOOOO" if anyone tries to take his toy.

He's quite a calm little chap most of the time but he does love climbing. In the garden he will get absorbed with shifting sand from the sandpit into the flower bed rather than running about.

So far no tantrums....I'm sure they will be on their way soon.

butwhybutwhy Tue 15-Jul-08 20:30:21

Thanks for all the responses, it made interesting reading.

Atm ds says car (has been saying this for months and months and will call most things a car), more, all gone, choo choo and Gary??? dh and I can't figure that one out.

But its not just his speech, its his behaviour which tbh concerns me more.

He has a terrible habit of throwing things.
The minute he finishes a meal the plate gets thrown and the same with a drink.
If he throws a tantrum he will look for something to pick up and throw. You can see the anger on his face.
He is also very very clingy.

butwhybutwhy Tue 15-Jul-08 20:34:45

Oh and forgot to mention the other bits.

He does understand things I say like "go get xyz" or "get down off the roof", "take that battery out of your mouth" etc

grin

He too is very boisterous and a big climber.

devonsmummy Tue 15-Jul-08 20:36:59

could Gary be carry?

katylou25 Tue 15-Jul-08 20:39:55

Ds2 is 22 months - has lots of words will make 2 or 3 word sentences eg mummy puzzle NOW! His pronunciation is very dodgy and repetitive as mentioned above and often onyl understood by me/dp yaya=Harry (ds1) LALA=granny
copcop=helicoptor
etc

Behgaviour wise he is full of tantrums, will just sit down and refuse to move if he doesn't like what we're doing! very adventurous and outgoing - a climber and is definatley testing boundaries all the time!

He is starting to play really nicely with his brother and a couple of friends, favourite toys are fireman sam and vehicles, dinosaurs and animals.

Dottoressa Tue 15-Jul-08 20:42:27

Ooh, I forgot the whole clingy thing!

DS (now 6) was a horrendously clingy toddler, and still won't go to play with friends unless I stay with him...

AbstractMouse Tue 15-Jul-08 20:43:00

Ds is 21 months and only has a few words he says "hi there" "mum/dad" "oh dear!" "uhoh" and randomly says other stuff but not reliably. I was really worried about him at about 15 months, he would clap or wave but didn't point, this seemed to happen overnight (probably as a result of me and dp furiously pointing at everything lol after I read that this was a problem)

His behaviour is typical as far as I can tell, his latest thing is walking around in my shoes.

I don't think it's helpful to compare and I try my hardest not to, but it's tough. Doesn't help that Dd (pfb) was very precocious, could say single words at 9 months, point to parts of the body/do most animal noises/count etc by 12 months, was having conversations by 2.

I am more relaxed about it now, and more what will be will be.

Oh and he does have major tantrums when he doesn't get what he wants, is very independant, doesn't like mo holding his hand/helping him etc.

But is also very eager to please (sometimes) and kissy and huggy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now