Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else's baby really shy??...

(3 Posts)
Jan2 Tue 15-Jul-08 12:17:22

My DD is 14 months now and has been really sensitive since she was about 2 months old. She was fine being held by relatives etc when she was new born but as soon as she realised who me and her dad were she would cry uncontrollably if anyone else even relatives tried to hold or feed her etc.

Due to this me and my DH just got used to the two of us looking after her and not leaving her with anyone else as every time we tried it was so upsetting that we didn't want to go and do whatever it was we'd planned.

She is still very shy and wary of other people even grandparents. It makes life difficult as we can't leave her with anyone else or have any time away from her except when she is asleep and we are confident that she won't wake up and find us gone.

I have taken her to regular baby groups and we see plenty of relatives and she is improving slowly but she still cries if we try and let anyone else hold her. At baby groups she is getting better but I still end up having to hold her a lot of the time when younger babies at the groups are happy to crawl off on their own. She is very reluctant to move away from me and engage with other babies.

At home she is very happy, smiley and active. She loves books and seems to understand a lot and has been pointing and communicating well with us for months so I know that she is developing well.

However as she is getting older I'm starting to worry that the shyness will hold her back!

I was due to return to work part time in May when she was one but ended up leaving a job I enjoyed where I had worked for several years as I could not imagine handing her over to a child minder or nursery as I know she just wouldn't cope with it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? how can I go about building her confidence and encouraging her to be more independent?

violetsmile Tue 15-Jul-08 12:44:50

Yes, my ds is 11 months now and is exactly as you describe. He is OK with me, dh and my sister but anyone else just has to keep their distance.
It's hard cos grandparents constantly want to hold him and make a fuss of him but he just doesn't enjoy it so I have to constantly tell them to back off, which make it hard as they then blame me for him being like he is
They will grow out of it, I hope!! I take my ds to play groups, swimming and all sorts to get him used to people and he is fine with them as long as they leave him alone and don't make a fuss.
My ds is smiley at home and also seems to take an interest in books and points and babbles well so I'm not overly concerned!
Would be nice to hae a sociable baby though.
My ds NEVER smiles for strangers, just sort of glares!

Jan2 Tue 15-Jul-08 16:27:57

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a shy baby! Yes, mine glares and frowns when people say hello to her too!! Hopefully it is just a 'long phase' that they will out grow...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now