Talk

Advanced search

Why was my baby sobbing in her sleep?

(11 Posts)
FeelingDeviant Mon 14-Jul-08 21:04:29

When I first heard it over the monitor I thought she was hyper-ventilating so I raced upstairs to find that she was sobbing (as if she had been crying badly and then doing that hiccupy type sobbing).
I stroked her, sung to her, picked her up and she remained asleep though sobbing throughout. Stopped sobbing when I put her back down.

Didn't last long, but just wondered if anyone has any ideas of what caused it? Hate to think of her having a nightmare. Or is it more of a health issue?

BigBadMousey Mon 14-Jul-08 21:08:24

how old is she?

avenanap Mon 14-Jul-08 21:09:28

ds used to do this as a tiny baby (a few weeks), he also used to smile and chuckle in his sleep at the same age. I found it very odd. I can't give you a cause. I think he was dreaming, I'd like to have known what about though.

bogie Mon 14-Jul-08 21:13:39

ds sometimes does this he also shouts things and laughs in his sleep

elmoandella Mon 14-Jul-08 21:17:20

how old is she?

my ds used to do all the emotions and babble when he was little. now he does weird things like sits upright, says something then lies back asleep. sound asleep as if he never moved a muscle.

it's a bit disturbing.

i blame it on a traumatic birth

lol grin

FeelingDeviant Mon 14-Jul-08 21:21:20

She's 13 months old .
She's did it once before while napping in her pram when she was about 4 months old.

Any thoughts?

scrappydappydoo Mon 14-Jul-08 21:24:34

elmo I still do that blush
DH has had whole conversations with me whilst I've been asleep.
I have incredibly realistic dreams and sometimes don't realise I've woken up..

avenanap Mon 14-Jul-08 21:26:05

ds still suckles and smacks his lips when he's asleep. I wouldn't mind but he's 9 (I stopped bf when he was 1 so I thought he'd have grown out of this by now)! I have no idea what he's dreaming about. It's very funny to watch though.

Troutpout Mon 14-Jul-08 21:26:46

dd did this about 5 times as a baby.
It freaked me out when she first did it. It was like the hiccuppy thing you do when you've finished sobbing.
Mentioned it to a doctor a few times he was like this hmm and clearly thought i was mad.
Anyway..she stopped doing it at some point

tortoise Mon 14-Jul-08 21:26:51

My DD2 has done this a few times. I have no idea why though. It used to really worry me. She hadn't done it for a while. She is nearly 4 now.

elmoandella Mon 14-Jul-08 21:30:44

scrappydoo, me too. thats probably where he gets it from.

the other night my dh came home from work when i was sleeping. aparently i gotta up and gave him a telling off about leaving the fridge door open, says i even remembered to flush loo.

i got up in the morning and said "oh you were quiet last night i never even heard you come in"

dont worry feeling. she's just dreaming. sometimes it'll be good, others it'll be bad.spometimes she'll laugh, others she'll cry.

i know ds has vivid dreams to about things i tell him last thing at night as he'll get up in morning and still talk about them

it was also about the 15 month mark when i started to realise he was picking up on things on tv. i can't watch certain programmes without it giving him nightmares.

he was badly affected by that car crash advert " when you go at 40 this happens, when you go at 30mph this happens" you know the one where the girl is dead then allice. and they were showing that during the soaps when he is drinking milk ready for bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now