Talk

Advanced search

What is an alternative to a Doidy?

(12 Posts)
villbeet Mon 14-Jul-08 17:14:58

My DD is 5 and a half months and is only bf. I have a doidy and she can manage it with me guiding her, but it's messy and ebm is a bit precious to be dribbling down her front! I've bought a cow cup that has a valve to make it non-spill or you can remove it to have it free-flow - since she can manage the doidy (almost) which should she be using, free-flow or learning to suck from it with the valve in place? I don't want tp take a step backwards with her since she can pretty much get the cup? Any advice?

Romy7 Mon 14-Jul-08 17:19:08

tommee tippee do a cup with two handles and an inverted lid with sip holes, so you drink from it like a regular cup - but a whole lot less messy!
(you're v committed btw - that's way earlier than i tried a cup!!)

Umlellala Mon 14-Jul-08 17:32:01

I tried a billion different cups with dd, with ds-to-be I will just be sticking with

1 - Tommee Tippee first cup easy to take anywhere, lid flips down, they don't have to suck hard on it. And v cheap too.

2 - just get some standard plastic beakers from the pound shop or Ikea for home

PS well done to your little girl on her ability to use the Doidy cup! We never really got on with it here.

talkingmongoose Mon 14-Jul-08 17:34:54

The myth of the Doidy cup: 4 month old baby sips delicately at the clever slanty cup of healthy beverage.

The actuality of the doidy cup: 15 month old baby tips contents of clever slanty cup all over own chest. Cries. Change clothing and repeat. buy cup with spout.

AlbertaWildRose Mon 14-Jul-08 18:33:26

I think that if she is doing well with a doidy cup, then go for the cow cup without the valve. They have to work much harder to get the liquid out through the valve, and I believe that would be considered a step back. It's also not very good for their teeth. I had exactly these concerns with DS when he was small; we used a doidy cup at home, and a cup without the valve when we were out. It was a bit messier, but he was drinking from a regular cup very well, and much earlier than his friends of the same age (not that it's a race, but why bother making the whole process from breast to cup any more complicated than it already is).

villbeet Mon 14-Jul-08 21:50:22

Thanks everyone - talking mongoose - you've described exactly what is happening in our house at the moment! I try to hold the bottom so that she can hold the handles - though she can drink from it now (her first few attempts involved licking and gumming the edge),inevitably she misaims and she points the slanted bit at the side of her face and liquid spills out over the side!! When its ebm she gets so excited too, mind you, she was only slightly less excited when it was water!
I just wasn't sure if she was supposed to be learning to suck with the valve thing or that the valve part was supposed to be easier for a bottle fed baby learning to drink from the spout - or if it was just for the parents to have less mess!

Yorky Mon 14-Jul-08 21:56:49

DS prefers a see through cup to the doidy
Have you seen the amadeus 360, it looks like a normal beaker but has a lid without a spout and a suckable valve all the way round the rim

villbeet Wed 16-Jul-08 16:38:46

yes - I actually bought it before I bought the cow cup that has the removable valve - but she couldn't work it out...

chunkypudding Wed 16-Jul-08 17:32:09

ds is 6mo today and loves the tommy tippee first cup. is bf but has been having a go with cup for month or so now - think he likes the independence!

i sometimes tilt it a bit more for him to stop him swallowing too much air, and sometimes a bit goes down his front but he generally manages well, holds on to the handles and looks mighty pleased with himself! grin

no valve so flows like it would from a normal cup.

nappyaddict Thu 24-Jul-08 14:40:00

ds couldn't work out the 360 one either .... it's quite hard to get anything out of.

nervousal Thu 24-Jul-08 14:42:41

what on earth is a doidy??

nappyaddict Thu 24-Jul-08 15:36:00

doidy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now