Talk

Advanced search

Boys and bum wiping

(8 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Sat 12-Jul-08 20:10:51

Ds is 5.6 and has only bene wiping his own bum after a poo for about 3/4 mths.

He didn't want to start doing it himself at all, but In knew he could, so started leaving him to it.

He got on fine at first, but now he is regularly coming home from school with dirty pants, and then his shorts/trousers also smell, so it all has to be washed, and Ds dunked in the bath.

Have just had to give him a quick dip, because I noticed whilst at my mums he smelt a bit, and sure enough his pants wee dirty.

I have told him over and over, that he needs to wipe until the tissue is clean, and he says he does, but I am not sure I believe him.

Does it just suddenly click one day, or is this just a boy thing, to have dirty pants ??

My mum quite unhelpfuly pointed out that my dad never seemed to get the hang of it LOL.

lenny101 Sat 12-Jul-08 20:16:56

Was thinking along the same lines as your mum I'm afraid! Haven't got that far yet (ds1 2.6 ds2 1.1) Will anticipate other replies with interest.

IllegallyBrunette Sat 12-Jul-08 20:21:50

Blimey, after two girls, this is all so odd LOL.

carocaro Sat 12-Jul-08 22:50:41

ds1 is 6 and has just learnt to wip his own bum HOORAAR. He did take ages to get to grips with getting right in the crack ti wipe out the poo, sorry about the detail, he never poo's a school, he's timed for home, he used to get am itchy bum and smelt when he had not wiped properly, he will get it eventually, it is such a s horrid job especially as there poo's are so grown up in smell! I have DS2 who is 18 months so will be going through many more years of bum wiping!

colditz Sat 12-Jul-08 22:52:26

I don't think this is a boy thing, I know girls who don't wipe and ds1 always wipes well, I think I've only ever found one skid in his pants and he's been wiping his own since he was 3.7. He is clumsy about lots of things, but not wiping his own bum.

asteamedpoater Sat 12-Jul-08 23:16:32

Sorry if tmi, but at that age I think how successful they are partly depends on the quality of the poo... My ds1 has a hard time wiping his bum, but his poo tends to be rather on the unformed side, so there's always tonnes of the stuff to wipe off... it takes him about 10 wipes. His little brother only needs one or two wipes and it's done. I find it harder work getting ds1 clean when I do it for him. Life's not fair...

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Martha200 Mon 14-Jul-08 09:30:27

I caught ds1 (5.3) not having wiped his bum yesterday, only because he didn't flush the toilet and I asked him did you wipe your bottom? (I thought we had got past this stage some time ago.)

He looked at me and went 'whoopsie, I forgot'. hmm so I got down to his eye level and reminded him honestly but as kindly as possible why it is so important to wipe his own bum and asked what it is that might be difficult about remembering this. He replied it was getting the toilet paper off the roll, so I got him to go back in take some paper off in a few piles and put on top of the holder and that he could do this before he has a poo. I wiped his bum, and the slightly irritating thing was that on this occassion (sorry for tmi) it had come out cleanly so there was no evidence he had done a poo!

Maybe your ds1 has a similar sort of concern about wiping his own bum? (may post back in the future if message not got through this time..sigh!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now