Talk

Advanced search

Can your 5.5 dc dress him/her self?

(32 Posts)
cox Sat 12-Jul-08 10:06:39

Mine still can not. No amount of bribery or encouragement works. If I say to her Beatrice can dress herself (her friend) she just shrugs. I know you're not supposed to do that. It was desperation.

I have a reward chart, but when I put a naughty face up for not even trying to get dressed, she goes into whingemode.

Any ideas.......

cox Sat 12-Jul-08 10:07:34

Just noticed I haven't changed back my screen name since the 3 letter game. I am mysterious.

paddingtonbear1 Sat 12-Jul-08 10:09:28

dd can yes, unless it's something tricky like very small or very large buttons. In the morning before school I sometimes help her for speed!
Can your dd dress herself at all, or does she not want to? How does she manage for PE at school?

DrNortherner Sat 12-Jul-08 10:10:20

I'd say she can, but she won't cause you help her.

My ds is 6 and has been dressing himself since aged 3/4.

Tell her one morning if she is not dressed she goes to school in her undies and put her in teh car like that.

princessmel Sat 12-Jul-08 10:11:24

yes he can .

I agree if you left her to it and didn't give in, she'd do it in the end....

princessmel Sat 12-Jul-08 10:12:13

Agree with Dr Northerner re putting her in car in pj's

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Sat 12-Jul-08 10:12:17

She just doesn't want to. She likes me to do it. On Monday, WEdnesday and Friday we had to send them in to school in their tracksuit. So, so far she's been ok. Next year the teacher might think, I don't want to look at a room full of tracksuits all week!

We're having a stand off at the moment. She's watching lazytown in her pyjamas. I've said we will go out when she's dressed and I'm tinkering about on the internet in the meantime. Maybe I should turn the TV off!!!!!!

SoupKitchen Sat 12-Jul-08 10:12:29

DD 3.7 can but it takes forever and no amount of persuasion will make her let me help.

Does your DD manage at school, for PE etc , if so is it just laziness.

If it was laziness I would plan a fun activity out of the home and not help her to get ready. All be by the door ready to go and she will soon rush to join you if she believes she will miss out.

If it is a physical ability thing, then maybe get a referral to an OT

coastalmum Sat 12-Jul-08 10:12:48

My dc have learnt to dress themselves or be taken to school/shops as they are, in the pjs and no shoes.

nannyL Sat 12-Jul-08 10:12:54

ummm yes

my 2 year old can almost dress himself completely too... (he needs help with jumpers and getting in socks on the right way.... thats it!

princessmel Sat 12-Jul-08 10:13:45

deffo turn it off.

No TV till dressed and ready for school/whatever you're doing.

MmeLindt Sat 12-Jul-08 10:13:45

My 4yo DS has been dressing himself for about 6 months. He does have a big sister though.

If he does not get a move on then I say, "Oh, I think that I am going to be dressed first today"

Both of mine chose their own outfits and dress themselves before I am even up some days.

<<puts sunglasses on to combat the glare of DD's multicoloured outfit>>

princessmel Sat 12-Jul-08 10:15:38

Yup, dd can do it too. She has been able to since she was 2 apart from socks. She can manage them now at almost 3. Shoes too. My mum was pretty impressed! She was much more keen to do it herself than ds tho....

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Sat 12-Jul-08 10:16:08

Right..... She's in her t-shirt with knickers on. I just said to her, where are your shoes, where are your jeans?

She is like ANDY from little britain. She said "yooo get them" in a monotone drawl.

I turned off Peppa Pig and now she having a strop in her knickers.

AbbeyA Sat 12-Jul-08 10:16:43

What does she do at school for PE? If I teach reception or infants I will help with top buttons, getting tights sorted the right way out, shoe laces or tough buckles but I draw the line at dressing anyone!

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Sat 12-Jul-08 10:17:49

Abbey, they go in their school tracksuit on PE days.

princessmel Sat 12-Jul-08 10:17:49

Let her strop
she'll soon stop.
Good for you.
In a few days she'll be doing it no pobs and will be so proud of herself.

MmeLindt Sat 12-Jul-08 10:18:08

DS sometimes goes on strike. The kindergarten told me to bring him in his jammies. He does not sit around in his jammies though, he sits around naked. Don't think the kindergarten would like me to take him in nude.

struwellpeter Sat 12-Jul-08 10:18:33

Can...yes.
will...well, not without a battle. Went to nursery in pyjamas once. (Him not me though it is tempting)

Hecate Sat 12-Jul-08 10:19:25

Mine are older, but couldn't at all at that age, but they are both autistic and very resistant!! ds1 has a partially paralysed arm, so still finds such things hard and needs a bit of help. ds2 is a bugger who needs pinning down and forcing to dress! grin So you are not alone. grin

With ds2 I have the clothes laid out and I pass them item by item. So I start with the pants. I say "pants on please" and hold them out. He ignores me, so I repeat myself. We do this little dance for several minutes grin but eventually he puts them on. I stay calm and speak softly but I just say it over and over and over until he does it. I ignore his screaming about it. We repeat this with each item of clothing. It normally takes 15 or so minutes for him to dress, but it can take up to half an hour.

I make sure we are alone and the room is free from distractions - no tv, toys etc and I simply do not allow him to leave until he is dressed. If he tantrums (and he does!) it just takes longer but he still leaves that room dressed!

He is now 7 and is beginning to understand that it is just easier to comply because then he has time to watch a bit of tv grin

AbbeyA Sat 12-Jul-08 10:24:03

The ones that I teach the most have blouses and ties! Track suits would be lovely!

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Sat 12-Jul-08 10:26:51

Well, she's calmed down a bit. She's happy doing a dance and singing to herself now.

SO tempting to go in and just shoe horn her into the jeans and shoes.

I won't. I'll remind her of that biscuit she was promised hours ago.

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Sat 12-Jul-08 10:32:38

She dressed herself 100% including shoes and eating her rich tea biscuit... phew!!

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Sat 12-Jul-08 10:35:38

Only took 26 minutes. Could have been worse. grin

MmeLindt Sat 12-Jul-08 10:36:00

Yay! Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now