Talk

Advanced search

Head butting problem. Help!

(6 Posts)
Ab31 Fri 11-Jul-08 20:43:30

DD (19 mnths) sleeps OK and normally when she wakes I can settle her in her cot by doing some gentle hand holding and CCing. Just the last few nights though she's been waking and has been so much more angry/upset than ever before when I leave her to cry. Each time I go in she's sitting holding the bars of the cot and headbutting it as hard as possible over and over again. The first time she did it (2 nights ago) was at bedtime and I let her until she went to sleep but the next morning she had a huge lump and bruise on her forehead. When she started doing it last night I just couldn't let her so picked her up. She calms down but I can't put her back in without the same reaction so she's ended up sleeping with us. I'm so aware of creating a really bad habit but while leaving her to cry is one thing, leaving her to injure herself is impossible. She is teething horribly - could it be this and will it pass?? Or by letting her sleep with us in lieu of cracking her head open am I creating a bigger problem?
What should I do??!

girliefriend Fri 11-Jul-08 21:05:46

Hello blimey that sounds horrible! Hmm well if she is teething assume it is that and make sure you have dosed her up with calpol/ teething powder when she goes to bed and see if that makes a difference. IMO letting her into your bed if this is not something you want to encourage should be a last resort although totally understand why you did it! So how about just sitting with her in her room talking to her quietly, or stroking her head gently. She is obviously really distressed and probably doesn't know why, bless her. Some soothing music? Always helped calm my dd down if she was stressed in the night. Has she shown any behaviour like this at other times? XxX

devonsmummy Fri 11-Jul-08 21:10:29

my ds is the same age and teething (fangs) he has been mouthbutting anything and everything for the last few days.

He too has had some terrible nights sleep recently, waking himself up by crying in his sleep.

I've just been jumping in the spare bed with him as it's either that or get up about 10 times during the night.

If it lets you all get some sleep I don't see a problem in bed sharing. ( and I love the snuggley cuddles through the night)

sheepgomeep Fri 11-Jul-08 22:27:48

dd headbuts too and she is teething her back molars. possible chicken pox too arghhh

Ab31 Sat 12-Jul-08 21:15:07

Well at least she hasn't got chicken pox too! This is the fangs too Devonsmummy - horrible. I'm happy to have her in bed once in a while but she's never done anything like this before and I'm conscious of her learning that doing it gets her in our bed. Maybe I'm being mean and should assume there's something wrong. I dosed her up with Calpol Night last night and she didn't wake but that's cheating isn't it wink!
Just wondered if anyone else had had this and how long it lasted. Can't believe it's normal...!

micci25 Sat 12-Jul-08 21:18:23

my dd2 headbutts when she is annoyed/fustrated/doesnt get her own way!!

she usually has a little bruise on her forehead she does it that often. mil thinks we will be reported to ss for abuse!!!

i am thinking that it will pass once she is old enough to comminicate better! she is 13 months atm!!

hers has nothing to do with teething though, she doesnt even notice teeth coming through!! its just fustration in her case!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now