Talk

Advanced search

4mo old screaming at night - please help!

(10 Posts)
MissingMyHeels Fri 11-Jul-08 19:39:04

My 4month old DD slept through the night (10pm -6/7am ish) from her first night home from hospital. However, over the last week she has started screaming in her sleep, she doesn't wake up but cries a really horrible loud cry - like something really bad has happened, I am sure you know the one.

I read on a website that babies can have nightmares (I was worried her Dad and I were stressing her out by arguing a lot) but having spoken to HV she said they can't. She has also totally changed her sleeping pattern and nothing has changed, last night she didn't go to sleep until about half 12 but slept through to 10am when I woke her.

Does anyone have any experience? Or know of a way I can try and get her to go to sleep earlier as she has not been having much milk over the last couple of days either as she has been napping more in the day.

gagarin Fri 11-Jul-08 19:41:26

No-one really knows whether babies dream or not. They can't tell you!

But my dcs did whatever they could do during the day in their sleep - including laughing/farting/crying and sobbing.

So she's not unusual

MissingMyHeels Fri 11-Jul-08 19:43:41

gagarin, thank you, that is good to know. The HV had never heard of it before so she has worried me a little tbh.

bubblagirl Fri 11-Jul-08 19:44:51

my ds used to do this worse actually was the laughing in his sleep completely frightened me

but yes he would cry and yell asleep i would just go in turn him over rub his back stroke his head then move him back or just put dummy back in to suckle on this was actually the winner

but not unusual from what i know

meep Fri 11-Jul-08 19:47:43

my dd can still let out the most heart wrenching cry in eth middle of the night and sometime stays asleep. It is horrible to hear but she's always her happy little self in eth morning.

Is 4mo not one of those growth spurt times - that could be disrupting her sleep? Or teeth?

MissingMyHeels Fri 11-Jul-08 20:00:25

She has been having some teeth issues - she had Calpol before bed as they were particularly uncomfortable last night.

It takes a few minutes to settle her, usually picking her up and rocking her, will just have to resign myself to some sleepless nights and hope it passes.

bubblagirl Fri 11-Jul-08 20:03:44

try some bonjela on the gums and in day put corner of flannel in freezer and rub round her gums it toughens them up and helps alot

but definatly put some bonjela on also ashton and parsons herbal teething powder helps relieve any belly aches caused by teething

meep Fri 11-Jul-08 20:18:56

dd was "teething" from 4mo (according to everyone who saw her hmm) - but her teeth didn't sprout till 11mo - then we had a few wakeful nights. It is horrible when you are used to a good sleep and they revert to night wakening. Bizarrely I am now fine with getting up during the night - it doesn't happen every night but when it does it is not so bad - honest
<meep disguises the bags under her eyes with a shed load of concealer!>

MissingMyHeels Fri 11-Jul-08 20:20:11

Have been using dentinox and ashtons and parsons - hope it's just her teeth, feel like it's my fault for being a big ball of stress at the moment sad

bubblagirl Sat 12-Jul-08 09:31:56

its not your fault at all teeth move around for along time until come through my ds was teething from 6 weeks until 6 mths when tooth came through

its tiring but once you establish the if in doubt rule things out motto you can gradually find something that works best but some children are genuinly easily disturbed

make sure no belly ache small amount of gripe water works wonders , teeth, to hot. to cold , hungry , i found dream feed worked wonders and less disturbed through night as became more hungry possibly due to growth spurt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now