Talk

Advanced search

Update on DD with possible 'Selcetive Mutism'

(4 Posts)
tigermeow Fri 11-Jul-08 13:42:27

I posted here last week about DD (aged 3) who was not speaking in social situations. She is very articulate (speech of a 6.5yr old/reading age of 11yrs) in the home but outside the house she is very selective as to when/who she speaks.

DH and I (without DD) met with the HV yesterday for an hour. The HV was excellent, she had consulted DD's Speech Therapy before the meeting so had some background. We discussed the issues with her speech, her communication, her personality etc. HV's comments were 'this is going to be very complex'! She agreed that SM was likely.

The HV and/or ST are coming for a home visit in a few weeks time to informally observe DD. Once the observation is done then there was mention of the Dev. Pychologist getting involved.

I am so happy to have some external support on this. DD's school have labelled us pushy parents and are not supportive at all. I am just so relieved to have been listened to and not made to feel like we are making it all up.

Thank you so much to the posters on this board for suggesting SM. I know we have a long road ahead of us but it feels a positive one now.

HonoriaGlossop Fri 11-Jul-08 13:55:08

glad you're getting some help with this -

I just can't get over a 3 year old who is at school and has had their reading age tested!

What kind of school is it?!

tigermeow Fri 11-Jul-08 14:15:53

A teacher friend of mine did the assessment recently. DD's teacher know she can read, but they don't know what sort of level...we haven't told them mainly because we don't want her to feel pressurised into 'performing'. Her comprehension isn't as high though, more 7/8yrs.
DD is quite 'complex' as the HV put it!

Wallace Fri 11-Jul-08 21:26:00

Hi my dd was selectively mute from the age of 3 to 5.5. She did just grow out of it

At her worst she would only speak to me, her big brother and 2 very close friends. She wouldn't even speak to dh - he had been working away and when he came back she wouldn't talk!

She didn't talk at all in nursey, not to teachers or children (not even a friend who she would speak tto out of school).

It was after the first 6 months of school that she started to speak, and hasn't stopped since!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now