Talk

Advanced search

could excess fluid be causing runny poo

(9 Posts)
elmoandella Fri 11-Jul-08 12:58:52

when i say runny i mean it's not a nice firm one like i see when changing my friends children of same age.

he's2.6 y o . drinks about 12oz cows milk, 12 oz juice (minumum, regularly more.can be baby juice, diluting, water) and a 12 oz bottle c + g growing up before bed.

eats a reasonable amount. but not huge amounts.

CarGirl Fri 11-Jul-08 13:00:24

possibly more likely to be a food intolerance, often dairy does this from what others have told me.

elmoandella Fri 11-Jul-08 13:02:50

shock

never thought of this? none of my family have any bothers like this at all?

but surely he would have shown signs of this before?

but to be honest, before he could tell me he wanted something to drink, i was giving what i thought he needed and he was quite firm then?

Seona1973 Fri 11-Jul-08 13:04:31

why not try cutting back on the milk (formula or cows milk) and see if it helps. They dont need as much milk after 1 year and a minimum of 350mls (approx 12oz) is recommended. Runny poo can also be caused by toddler diarrhoea but they apparently grow out of that (try googling for info)

CoteDAzur Fri 11-Jul-08 15:33:31

Excess fluid makes excess pee. It does not make runny poo.

It could be some kind of intolerance, as others said.

SpecialOffer Fri 11-Jul-08 16:02:59

Could be toddler diarrhoea. Told by my HV can be caused by too much liquid, as their kidneys can't cope so it comes out in their poo

violetsmile Fri 11-Jul-08 18:22:12

I got told that too much liquid does cause runny poo. When my ds was constipated (around 8 months) I got told to give him water to drink as well as his usual milk feeds and solids. It seemed to work.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elmoandella Fri 11-Jul-08 20:54:37

i'll bring it up with my hv next time i go. she should be able to tell me if just toddler thing or if he has other things that could indicate intoleance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now