Talk

Advanced search

dd2 keeps pulling her own hair out

(18 Posts)
kreamkrackers Thu 10-Jul-08 23:15:59

She's 2 on Sunday but how do I stop her pulling her hair out? She's starting to get bald patches behind her ears! Also she then tries to eat it which I believe is really bad so I take it off her. Occasionally when I'm cleaning her bum I have to pull a hair out blush Is this normal? She's going through lots of tantrums at the moment and the more I tell her no the more she rebels so I'm trying to only tell her off when she's being exceptionally naughty and use a lot of praise when she's being good.

kreamkrackers Fri 11-Jul-08 12:05:55

anyone got any advice on how I can stop this?

kreamkrackers Fri 11-Jul-08 14:52:43

hasn't anyone got any suggestions?

surely she's not the only child to have ever pulled her own hair out (really hope not)

LittleMissBliss Fri 11-Jul-08 14:58:56

Maybe you could talk to your HV about this, i'm sure they must have come across other children that do this over the years. I'm sure she will grow out of it. Do you jave any idea why she does it? Is is a habit or out of frustration?

LittleMissBliss Fri 11-Jul-08 15:05:18

not sure if this is any help haven't read all the way through...

LittleMissBliss Fri 11-Jul-08 15:11:45

pos this too?

LittleMissBliss Fri 11-Jul-08 15:11:46

pos this too?

kreamkrackers Fri 11-Jul-08 16:23:22

Thankyou for that information. I think I will have to go to our GP (HV is useless) and discuss this as I don't think she'd have the understanding to pull hair on demand. She does do it when I'm not in the room, it's like a huge habbit for her but it'll be better if I can get her some professional help on this. She has always been a very stressed out child (I keep thinking it's because she was born 11 weeks early). She was a hard baby constantly crying and she's now pushing it all the time with wanting her own way (which could just be her age). It's hard to know when it's normal and when it's something else sometimes.

dd1 has special needs and has been through more than her dd2 but has handled things better than dd2 has. I do think everyone handles things differently though so I think she should get some help. She seems to have so much anger inside her I love her so much and I know she can be such a loving girl, she is fantastic with our pets she can have such a gentle nature in her at times. I really do feel at a lose with this though, I really will have to speak to the GP.

SparklyGothKat Fri 11-Jul-08 16:26:58

go to www.trich.co.uk Lois is a wonderful lady, honest!!

kreamkrackers Fri 11-Jul-08 17:29:53

Thanks for that. Been looking up about trichotillomania and it does sound like it could be that so I'll see our GP next week.

SparklyGothKat Fri 11-Jul-08 18:42:20

BTW dd2 pulled out every single hair on her head, when she was 2. She now has a full head of hair. Children genernally outgrow Trich.

SparklyGothKat Fri 11-Jul-08 18:45:07

OH BTW GPs are crap when it comes to Trich, they don't know much about it at all. It is an impulse disorder (similar to OCD) which can't be controlled. I ahve Trich and know lots of people with it. Children do outgrow it though. I shaved Dd2's hair to stop her pulling. It was horrible but it stopped her (didn't stop me tho )

kreamkrackers Fri 11-Jul-08 19:12:49

I really wouldn't like to have to resort to shaving her head

SparklyGothKat Fri 11-Jul-08 19:51:51

it was the last resort for us, I used ezcema (sp) sleepsuits for her as they had rollover gloves and she couldn't get a grip.

kreamkrackers Fri 11-Jul-08 20:18:45

Where do you get the sleepsuits from?

SparklyGothKat Fri 11-Jul-08 20:36:05

Misdee gave me them. You can look on ebay or google them.

kreamkrackers Fri 11-Jul-08 20:53:09

ok will try that. Thanks again

gegs73 Sat 12-Jul-08 22:26:09

DS1 did this from about 15 months until he was just over 2. It was a comfort thing for him and he used to do it as he went to sleep. He had a big bald patch at the top of his head which looked awful. I also used to worry that it wouldn't grow back properly. Good news is that he stopped just after the age of 2 and at 4 laughs when I tell him he used to do it and has a full head of normal hair!

First thing I did was tell him it was naughty and give him stickers/rewards for not doing it. He spoke/understood really well though at this age so this would only work depending on how your daughter is. Secondly, I cut his hair short. I know this is harder for girls but he couldn't get his fingers round it as well to pull and this really helped (I didn't shave just cut about an inch long). Thirdly he had a teddy with a wooly hat which I encouraged him to pull instead of his hair.

If you look back over MN archives, you should find some threads on this. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now