Talk

Advanced search

Worried - pointing (or lack of), 14 mo

(8 Posts)
Bigfatcaterpillar Wed 09-Jul-08 21:38:05

I've read a lot on MN about pointing being really important in development. My ds is 14 months and is not pointing. Pretty much everything else about him seems normal and on track.

I have been obsessively worrying about ASD since reading this, so have been looking for other 'signs', with the result that I almost no longer know what is normal and what isn't. Perhaps it's me that has the problem?? (My DH seems to think so!)

He has about 5 words, is sociable, smiley, enjoys interacting with both adults and children (though not so much those he doesn't know), shows and gives things (though won't cross a room to give you something, usually just if you're sitting next to him iyswim), seems to play with toys appropriately for his age as far as I can tell, follows a point most of the time, copies and imitates well, does things to get a laugh etc. He claps and waves.

But he doesn't point!! He sometimes gestures with his whole hand and looks intently at me, but never with his index finger. I've also noticed that he doesn't pick up small things (eg peas) with his thumb and index finger, but with his whole hand.

Sorry for the long ramble... suppose what I'm asking specifically is how significant on its own is not pointing yet?

TIA

oilandwater Wed 09-Jul-08 21:48:30

fwiw my ds was a "late" pointer - sometime during his 13th month, I think. He also seemed fine in all other respects so I didn't really worry about it. I could be very wrong here, but I think that one of the reasons pointing is considered such an important "milestone" is because it's easy recognizable by parents, whereas other red flags might be more subtle and harder to notice.

TotalChaos Wed 09-Jul-08 21:50:49

you would expect pointing at somewhere between 12 and 18 months. so keep an eye out, but try not to worry too much.

MegBusset Wed 09-Jul-08 21:52:34

DS (17mo) has only been pointing with finger for a few weeks -- before that he would gesture with the whole hand. Yours sounds very normal to me

uberalice Wed 09-Jul-08 21:56:24

Both my DSs were very late pointers - 18 months. I worried a lot about DS1, took him to my GP, and was assured that he was OK. Worried less about DS2, but still asked the GP when I was seeing him for something else, and again was told that he was fine. Now I think about it, DS2 still isn't using his index finger to point (he's 19 months) but I'm not at all worried about it any more.

From what you describe your DS is doing really well too. Ask your GP if you need reassurance, but I'm sure it will be fine.

smallwhitecat Wed 09-Jul-08 21:59:00

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Wed 09-Jul-08 22:10:55

Message withdrawn

Bigfatcaterpillar Thu 10-Jul-08 09:25:14

Thanks for replies and words of wisdom. I will keep an eye out, hopefully he'll point before he's 18 months.
Smallwhitecat, I recognise your name and think I did come across some of your posts but don't worry, it wasn't you that got me worried - perfectly capable of doing that on my own!smile How is it going with you - are you feeling more confident about your DS?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now