Talk

Advanced search

Does this mean anything?

(12 Posts)
pepsi Wed 02-Feb-05 21:50:18

My ds, 4.10 drew a picture yesterday of his reception class bear he brought home, plus included a drawing of our gerbil, myself, dh and dd. He drew head, neck, body, legs, arms and ears but refused to draw eyes on anyone, Ive noticed this before. Does it mean anything?

essbee Wed 02-Feb-05 21:50:51

Message withdrawn

pepsi Wed 02-Feb-05 22:26:50

Yes, but I didnt get an answer and I didnt want to pressure him.

moondog Wed 02-Feb-05 22:28:00

No, nothing at all.Don't fret.

Jimjams Wed 02-Feb-05 22:32:12

ds2 (age 3) drew me yesterday and gave me 5 eyes. I made him count my eyes and he seemed surprised to find out that I had 2 not 5.

Tommy Wed 02-Feb-05 22:40:45

LOL jimjams

frogs Wed 02-Feb-05 22:42:48

My ds (5) tends to dig his heels in at the first hint of criticism, or constructive suggestion for that matter. Maybe your ds likes the picture better without eyes. Put it down to male pride and tell him how great the gerbil looks. Or show him some or Picasso's later works...

Fran1 Wed 02-Feb-05 23:03:07

Did he draw a mouth or nose or hair?

Maybe you are all have your eyes closed in the picture?
Maybe he will grow up to be a muscian and therefore consider hearing to be the most important sense?
Or maybe he's done something he shouldn't have and doesn't want you all to see!

pepsi Thu 03-Feb-05 13:57:27

None of us had eyes, nose, mouth or hair, just ears. Apart from that it was a really good picture and he coloured it in too.

starlover Thu 03-Feb-05 14:11:31

maybe he just doesn't like drawing faces? maybe he thinks he can't do it?
I used to look after a little girl and she wouldn't draw hands on anyone because she said she couldn't... tried to get her to attempt to draw some but to no avail! she was adamant that she couldn't do it.
She also refuses to write the letter "e"

Skribble Fri 04-Feb-05 01:23:10

Don't worry at all. Many children don't add bits unless it is important to picture. My DD5's pictures are really funny here arms are long like gorillas, just on her. I think it is because her hair is long so once she draws this she knows her arms come down further.

One of the boys I nannied for used to bring home black painted pictures. You could see the picture underneath. He eventually explained that the people in the picturse were hiding. It lasted a couple of months then changed totally.

Don't ask to much about the eyes but talk lots about his pictures, draw some yourself make them really silly and get him to help you sort it out and add bits. Maybe cut up faces out of magazines and make sticky pictures some crazy and some more in place.

pinkwhistle Fri 04-Feb-05 01:43:10

Maybe you could ask him how the gerbil will see to find his food? Or similar...

I have heard teachers ask this kind of thing, like how are you going to hear/see/smell/walk etc for missing bits of faces/bodies. Try not to make a big deal of it, it is his picture after all. Just make it a bit of fun, asking questions and talking about it. Oh and I'd try to do it while he is actually drawing - maybe he was offended that you wanted him to alter his finished masterpiece! He might be another Picasso!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now