Talk

Advanced search

Bizarre but did anyone's DC learn to stand without pulling up?

(12 Posts)
MrsWB Mon 07-Jul-08 15:37:36

This is what my DS seems to be trying to do. He is 15 months and a bottom shuffler though just started crawling too.

He keeps going on all fours, putting his feet flat and straightening his legs as if to stand but he can't. He doesn't have any interest in pulling himself up though.

I doubt he will learn to stand like this - he's probably just trying to strengthen his legs.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

LIZS Mon 07-Jul-08 18:49:24

ds did pull up and cruise but never free stood until he could walk, then he did as you describe.

rokersmum Fri 11-Jul-08 15:29:15

ds would bring himself to standing in the middle of the room at 8 months before he could crawl or walk! he would use his arms to push himself off the floor with his feet flat and straighten his legs - strong abs that i could only wish for!

CoteDAzur Fri 11-Jul-08 15:31:41

DD was also a bum shuffler, and this is how she finally managed to get up from sitting. Pulling up did not occur to her until way past her 2nd birthday.

DanJARMouse Fri 11-Jul-08 15:33:25

DS is trying at 7mnths to stand up without pulling up.

DD1 did the same at 13mnths and started walking like that.

deaconblue Fri 11-Jul-08 15:33:52

my friend's dd did this. She could stand in the mmiddle of the room before walking. Ds could walk for ages before he could stand without pulling up.

Chaotica Fri 11-Jul-08 16:19:48

DD did this - although she'd start on one knee and straighten her other leg and she did tend to do it near furniture so she could lean if needed. Never pulled her own weight up on anything though.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 11-Jul-08 16:58:23

My DS did this too, looked like the dog position in yoga - think it is to do with strengthening legs. Still does it sometimes but head on floor like about to do a headstand, and sometimes no hands. Bonkers.

woodstock3 Sat 12-Jul-08 16:09:05

my ds did this (and used to crawl around in this position looking extremely weird) when he was close to walking but it was a prelude to pulling up....

MrsWB Tue 15-Jul-08 14:53:29

Thanks for all the replies. It's interesting to see that they can learn to stand without pulling up - I didn't think it was possible.

Will be better for us if he doesn't pull up on the furniture as most of it is very child unfriendly and likely to fall on his head!

elmoandella Tue 15-Jul-08 14:57:31

dd did this. just standing in middle of room, then progressed to steps. was walking by 10 months

Memjem Tue 15-Jul-08 20:51:50

DD1 was a late crawler and then wasn't too fussed about using it much. Never really pulled up and didn't cruise. One day, at about 16 months, she just stood up in the middle of the lounge, it still makes me smile now thinking about it. Bizzare 3 days later she was tottering around.

Now, she's 4 spends most of her time skipping, dancing or hopping and is fab at ballet can't believe I once worried she'd never get off the spot.

DD2 is payback, won't keep still and keeps climbing up things. Driving me to distraction - we're never happy are we?! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now