Talk

Advanced search

medication you took during pregnancy

(8 Posts)
Ginni Sun 06-Jul-08 21:24:24

Hi there, i've recently found out that i'm 3 months pregnant. This was a suprise as i've been on the pill (Loestrin) for the whole of the pregnancy, and put all the symptoms I was experiencing down to this. I am worried about some of the medication I took whilst I was unknowingly pregnant, and wondered if any of you mothers had taken any similar medication whilst you were pregnant, and whether you think it had any effect on your babies?

Besides the oral contraceptive, I took: Avloclor (chloroquine) antimalarial tablet in weeks 9, 10 and 11 for a trip to Dominican; diazepam 5mg once in both weeks 9 and 10 (to calm my nerves on the flight!).

I'm really interested to here similar stories from other mothers as i'm worried I may have harmed my baby sad

bergentulip Sun 06-Jul-08 21:30:25

Took codamol, so codeine basically when about 4/5mths preggers.
Also inhaler for asthma sporadically, then got iritis at one point, so took steroid drops for that....
...ummm.... and plenty of paracetamol at various intervals for numerous mundane reasons.
I'm sure I'll think of more....

I tend to be a bit of a walking pill bottle. I rattle, you know?

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 06-Jul-08 21:34:46

I didn't find out I was pg until 18 weeks

in that time I had taken co-codamol, alcohol, tobacco, ABs, paracetamol and ibuprofen and whatever hormones are in a mirena coil.

She is fine btw

(I had mirena coil so periods had already stopped periods some time before, and had no symptoms of pregnance apart from weight gain)

fledtoscotland Mon 07-Jul-08 11:44:41

i dont know about the specific medicines you took but when i was pregnant with DS i had emergency surgery (general anaesthetic, morphine pump, codeine, paracetamol), with both DS and this pregnancy i have had to take antihistamines because of my ezcema, had antibiotics last time as well.

DS is a healthy strapping toddler!

if you are concerned talk to your MW.

minster Mon 07-Jul-08 13:19:17

dexamethasone
prednisolone
aspirin
clexane
IVIg (blood product)
metformin
metoclopramide
prometrium/gestone/cyclogest
codeine
paracetamol
diazepam
b enedryl
& alcohol (I'm sure there are others too)

All prescribed (including alcohol - well suggested wink ) no adverse effects.

woodstock3 Tue 08-Jul-08 22:09:26

migraleve (migraine pills, gawd knows what's in them but it knocks you out). nurofen, codeine, paracetamol. vodka. raw reindeer meat (ok, not a pill, but you know). and lots of other inadvisables as well before i knew i was up the duff. ds was and is disgustingly healthy.
we put off ttc until i had stopped taking malarials (for a holiday in africa) but the dr said it was a very marginal thing and lots of people took malarials in early weeks of pregnancy without knowing perfectly safely. my friend had a vaccination for a foreign holiday - think it was yellow fever or cholera? - while unknowingly pg and her dd was totally fine. the human race would have died out if we all had to worry about stuff we did in early pregnancy......relax and enjoy your pregnancy, you will be fine

Ginni Wed 09-Jul-08 20:16:40

phew thanks, I am a natural born worrier. BTW I don't understand some of the abbreviations, what is ds and ttc?

fledtoscotland Wed 09-Jul-08 21:09:43

ginni - glad we have reassured you.

re the abbreviations, i think there is a list on the main topic page but "ttc" is trying to conceive and DS is "dear son"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now