Talk

Advanced search

Special method of learning piano for very young children

(12 Posts)
lisalisa Thu 27-Jan-05 14:57:18

Message withdrawn

BellaLasagne Thu 27-Jan-05 15:03:04

Sorry I can't answer your question Lisalisa, but do you mind if I hijack your thread and ask a similar question in teh hope that someone musical picks this up?

My dd is 5 and has just startde learning the piano through school. The external teacher (who I never see) says she needs to practice at home. As we have no room (or £) for a piano someone suggested getting a keyboard. I have no idea what I'm looking for, can anyone help?

Thanks,

BL

Jimjams Thu 27-Jan-05 15:03:12

suzuki? although I think suzuki piano starts at 5 (violin at 2) could be wrong though.

Kelly1978 Thu 27-Jan-05 15:36:46

The suzuki piano can be taught from 3 years too. A keyboard or electric piano could be an alternative to an acoustic piano, but I would think you would need a very good keyboard with touch sensitive keys to have any ressemblance to piano playing.

HTH

DecafArabica Thu 27-Jan-05 16:27:02

Hi Lisalisa! My DS loves music, too (he's 4 in April) but I've been advised to wait until DS is a good bit older before starting any kind of formal lessons. We go to a brilliant class in St Johns Wood (at the shul!) where he sings and plays instruments and we also go to see lots of live music. Why not let your little one just play around on the keyboard for now and have fun. The Suzuki method is really expensive and you have to practise with them.

JulieF Fri 28-Jan-05 01:02:31

A keyboard would need to have weighted keys, not just touch sensitive to be anything like a piano. Something like a Clavinova. I can't remember which one dh has, but it is portable and not quite as expensive as some. I'll have a look at a more reasonable hour.

Cristina7 Mon 31-Jan-05 07:45:04

A piano teacher I saw when DS was younger (he's 5 now) said they don't start with very young children because their hand-span isn't wide enough for more than a couple of keys and they haven't got enough strength for the keys.

wobblystarryknicks Mon 31-Jan-05 07:49:22

I don't know about the piano lessons but a decent Roland or Korg keyboard with weighted keys would be near enough to a real piano and obviously has the advantages of a keyboard too. They can be pricey but you should be able to pick one up 2nd hand.

lisalisa Mon 31-Jan-05 11:12:38

Message withdrawn

maretta Mon 31-Jan-05 11:56:16

I take piano lessons and a yamaha keyboard school and I know they're really keen on taking children from 3.5-4yo.

They don't teach them to read music. I think the lessons involve quite alot of singing to try and encourage a musical ear. See here

Gobbledigook Mon 31-Jan-05 12:07:21

This site is marvellous!

I know some basic piano but would love to learn properly and I'd be interested in ds1 (almost 4) starting to learn too (if he wants to of course!). The Junior course with Yamaha looks fab and I've found on the website that there is one run just a mile away from here!!

Would never have known this without MN so thanks!!

Gobbledigook Mon 31-Jan-05 12:08:00

Oh maretta - it was you who posted the link! Thanks for that! Interested to see they are keen to start them at 3.5-4 as ds1 is not 4 till March.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: