Talk

Advanced search

OOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHH!!!!

(18 Posts)
Titania Fri 21-Jan-05 13:12:46

how the hell do i stop my nearly one year old from headbutting........ive just spent the past 15 minutes trying to stem a nosebleed he caused. As soon as you pick him up it's the first thing he does and smacks your face. Even first thing in the morning out of his cot. I've tried saying no and putting him back down but it's not working!!!!

starlover Fri 21-Jan-05 13:15:36

try picking him up from behind... if that makes sense...
so that his back is facing you

starlover Fri 21-Jan-05 13:15:51

p.s... hope your nose is feeling better now!

Titania Fri 21-Jan-05 13:47:41

have tried that......he even headbutts backwards!!! nose is sore but stopped bleeding thanks!

starlover Fri 21-Jan-05 13:54:56

hold him at arms length? there must be a solution to this... but i can't quite see it yet

Titania Fri 21-Jan-05 13:56:01

thats what i am trying to do but i cant cuddle him very well like that! little bugger him!!

starlover Fri 21-Jan-05 13:57:23

this is true, maybe you just need to invest in some kind of face protection device!
a motorbike helmet perhaps????

Lucycat Fri 21-Jan-05 13:57:57

Tell him that he can have a cuddle if he doesn't head butt you! Does he think it's funny? or is he bothered that you've now bled all over him (if you didn't then you should!)

ourdarling Fri 21-Jan-05 14:03:48

Why don't you pick him up from behind and place a hand on the back of his head so you can gently push his head forward to avoid being butted. Or pick him up by his ankles! Oh sorry that is not allowed.

ourdarling Fri 21-Jan-05 14:04:36

Why don't you pick him up from behind and place a hand on the back of his head so you can gently push his head forward to avoid being butted. Or pick him up by his ankles! Oh sorry that is not allowed.

Fastasleep Fri 21-Jan-05 14:04:45

Titania mine's nearly one and does this constantly too when he started backwards headbutting I actually tapped him on the back of the head and when he laughed I screamed 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' but nothing works! Nothing! He bruises himself (looks beaten!) and me and my dh...argh...

Lucy if mine would understand what I meant if I tried to blackmail him with cuddles I would try it! Lol

starlover Fri 21-Jan-05 14:05:43

Not sure how well this will go down but...
doing something that is uncomfortable to him if he does it... ie, he headbutts you and you pinch his nose or something?
obviously not like, to really hurt him... but make sure he doesn't like it! that might stop him doing it?

Titania Fri 21-Jan-05 14:06:08

im not the only one with a potential broken nose/jaw/cheekbone then?!?! I don't think a one year old understands the concept of that Lucycat.

Fastasleep Fri 21-Jan-05 14:07:44

I'm identical titania...except he's just done in my collar bone as well! the sod! We should introduce them - they can headbutt each other lol

Lucycat Fri 21-Jan-05 14:10:07

My DD2 tried to do that (she was 14 mths) so I lay on the floor and pretended to cry my eyes out - although I think the cat was more worried than DD2, it did make her come and give me a cuddle!!

Titania Fri 21-Jan-05 14:11:55

now theres an idea fastasleep!!!

i can just see that lucycat.....i think my puppy would be all over me instead!!! lol

Fastasleep Fri 21-Jan-05 14:12:11

I'm for trying the crying. I'm almost there anyway!

californiagirl Fri 21-Jan-05 18:31:10

Mine only does it when she's mostly asleep, and I've learned how to position her so she can't get me (usually). It's kind of like keeping a horse from kicking -- the main trick is to keep her close so she can't get up any velocity. If I'm picking her up I bring her in to me as fast as possible and kind of pin her head under my chin. She can rattle my jaw a little, but not with force.

I think if she were doing it more on purpose, I'd treat it like biting, and say "No headbutting! Be gentle!" and immediately put her down in the most boring available position. I'm afraid with the biting I do try to make sure that putting her down makes her cry. But she has learned to bite my shirt instead of me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now