Talk

Advanced search

Problems with Bib Pulling?!

(21 Posts)
babyfettle Thu 20-Jan-05 21:59:03

Never ever done this before, feel quite nervous! But I am eternally grateful to this site for helping me already with advice from other people's discussions, but this time I think I've come across a problem that no-one else seems to have discussed!

My DD is 9 months and an extremely happy smiley baby, strangers often approach us in restaurants etc to comment on what a wonderfully well behaved girl she is and how they have never seen such a smiley/happy baby. I know we are incredibly lucky, as apart from a few weeks of hellish colic when she was younger, she hardly ever cries. Even her nursery have commented on how well she has fitted in (think I've cried buckets more since she started at the beginning of the month than she has!).

Anyway, while feeding she has starting pulling hard at her bib, so much so that she makes very red marks on the back of her neck until I either take the bib off her or she pulls it off herself. I don't know why she is doing this and it is slightly disturbing as her face goes bright red with determination and distress as she yanks hard at the bib. Tonight even after I'd taken her bib off, she continued to pull at her clothes with the same strength. Throughout this she actually ate more food that she has in a long time, so it doesn't seem to indicate that she doesn't want to be eating.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has ever experienced this and whether she will grow out it? Is it best to just remove the bib as soon as she pulls on it to minimise the distress it is causing her, or will that 'spoil' her and should I perservere and make her keep the bib on?

Feel this might be a bit a silly question, but any advice will be gratefully received. Don't like seeing my happy little DD so distressed!

aloha Thu 20-Jan-05 22:01:39

Are you sure she is distressed? I mean, is she crying? I think she might just have realised that if she pulls hard enough the bib comes off and that's a wonderful achievement for a small, determined person and so very rewarding. My ds used to pull off his bib just because he could.

kid Thu 20-Jan-05 22:02:59

Its not a silly question at all.
I remember my DD doing that with her bibs. I used to just move her hands and clap them together of something to distract her. She did grow out of it very quickly. I thought that if I removed the bib then she would get used to not wearing it and I wanted her clothes to stay clean!

monkeygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 22:03:20

I don't think it's uncommon. My dd1 certainly always pulled her bib off from the very beginning and I just gave up with it in the end. Ds1 often has a go at pulling his off but not so bothered.

Just you wait til they're older and can pull their nappy and clothes off - usually in public places - nice!

pixiefish Thu 20-Jan-05 22:05:31

snap.

my dd has done this for a while and i've just given up putting a bib on her.

i know i'll have to start again when she starts feeding herself but hey... that's a few weeks off yet

MistressMary Thu 20-Jan-05 22:09:41

My boy pulls his bib off and before he could he used to shriek with delight when it came off after his feed.
It seems not to be a sign of not wanting to eat or anything, just thinks he's grown up enough not to wear one like us I spose?

babyfettle Thu 20-Jan-05 22:13:33

Thank you! In 5 quick minutes I know I'm not alone in my struggle!

Although she doesn't cry, I think she is a bit distressed while doing it, she is certainly not happy and doesn't have that satisfied look of achievement when she finally removes the bib, although she does like playing with it afterwards I suppose.

As for keeping her clothes clean, she is determined to try and feed herself and grabs the spoon at every opportunity (when not pulling at her bib) and particularly loves finger foods and I know I have to encourage her - maybe I should just invest in an all-over body suit and be done with it!!

jumpingbean Thu 20-Jan-05 22:19:02

My DS 8 MONTHS does it too, its all a game to him, just flexing his muscles ,and testing me @ the same time...

mummytojames Thu 20-Jan-05 22:24:23

we went through the same thing sorry havent read all the threads so sorry in advance if i repeat anything as i said we went through the same thing what we done was changed from the tie and pop over the head bibs to the ones you put there hands through the sleave and velcro at the back found when he did pull it didny hurt the back of his neck oh and we only used bibs when we were out then for some reason i found he enjoyed his food more if he could wear some of it
if this aint possible put two spoons one in each hand or even finger food to keep her hands ocupied as this might be the reson for the fussing now shes saying im ready to feed my self good luck and keep us posted

babyfettle Fri 21-Jan-05 21:13:35

Just wanted to let you know this morning armed with toast fingers and lots of spoons for distraction, we managed to get through breakfast with only a minimum of bib tugging! However, we had to give up with the bib again this evening as it was a choice between either her head or the bib coming off first, she was pulling so hard!

Anyway, now I know she's not alone, I shall wait patiently for her to grow out of it!

Thank you for all your advice!

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 21:16:05

babyfettle, have you tried 'naked mealtimes'

my baby did this for a while, she just thought it was funny. i had to feed her naked, cos i kept running out of clean tops!

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 21:16:25

well, not naked, just topless

babyfettle Fri 21-Jan-05 21:19:41

I assume you mean baby not you?!

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 21:26:06

PMSL! that would be a sight for sore eyes!

lucy5 Fri 21-Jan-05 21:27:03

I gave up on bibs and often did the naked thing and invested in a lorry load of shout.

babyfettle Fri 21-Jan-05 21:43:54

Could give the naked feeding a go - I know which way round DH would probably prefer!

Anyway, I was discussing the bib pulling with her nursery this morning, as she also has the problem at lunchtime with them and they would rather perservere with the bib as they don't want the other children starting to play up and not want to wear bibs because my DD isn't. Which is a fair enough argument from their point of view, I suppose.

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 21:45:01

bf, im still laughing. dh is laughing a bit too much, which is worrying. surely the image isnt that bad?

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 21:46:35

sorry, meant to add, dont worry what the nursery do , im sure baby will know that things are different there, you dont have to do the same as them though

babyfettle Fri 21-Jan-05 21:55:31

Thanks for the advice about the nursery, np. Even though I really can't see naked feeding being well received at nursery, I can always see how DD enjoys it at home over the weekend - it sounds like fun and will save on some washing!

I hope your DH has calmed down a bit!

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 21:56:18

bf, you are a hoot. keep posting!

somebody Sat 22-Jan-05 14:51:47

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: