Talk

Advanced search

crying when with others apart from mum... phase?

(4 Posts)
Carlyandskyla Sat 15-Jan-05 16:24:26

little Skyla is happy to be either with me or on her own, in the play gym etc, but as soon as she is passed to anyone else (familiar or unfamiliar) she totaly freaks out and cries like i have never heard before... its as though she is scared. Even when at home with me sitting next to her. I just wonder whats the best thing to do... keep trying her to be with others and let her cry for 2/5/10 mins? Not try at all and hope it passes? Or leave her with someone (aunty or such like) and nip to the shops to see if she settles? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just a phase or am I destined for a clingy 'mummy's' baby? (which I just dont want). thanks.

aloha Sat 15-Jan-05 16:38:28

I guess she is pretty young? Maybe around 7months or so? If so (and frankly even if younger or older) it's because she's really attached to you and that can only be a good thing really. I wouldn't personally pass a baby to others if they were unhappy, unless you really need to. I think it's really normal and yes, it will pass. IME you should never assume that what a baby is doing at any given time is a sign of any permanent personality trait.

lalaa Sat 15-Jan-05 16:46:36

My dd was like this from 8 months until 21 months - it might be a long phase, but it is a phase. It didn't help that we moved house and changed childminder in the middle, I know. Once she could talk a little, it resolved itself.

I was very distressed at dd being like this, particularly because I went back to work when she was 10 months and she was incredibly challenging for both childminders. It was horrible to hear how unhappy she had been. However, I kept taking her as I didn't want her to be like that until she went to school!

My advice would be to keep trying, but be prepared for the long haul. If it's any consolation at all, dd is now a very happy independent toddler at 26 months.

Carlyandskyla Sat 15-Jan-05 17:28:29

Oh yes... sorry... she is only 3.5 months old... thanks for the tips so far...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now