Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS had a major strop when I collected him from pre-school

(11 Posts)
kid Wed 12-Jan-05 16:29:42

He is bad tempered at the best of times. He goes pre-school from 12:30 till 3pm. Usually he would have a nap around 1pm. When I collect him, he is very tired but today, he came out and in front of everyone shouted 'I'm not your friend' Then he stomped off in the opposite direction!
He is 2.9 and I know this isn't acceptable and can't go on. What can I do to make sure he doesn't do this sort of thing? The staff were shocked as he is obviously different when he is there. I briefly explained that he misses his nap by coming to the pre-school but I just wanted to disappear! I was also struggling to hold onto DN (1.2), stop DS from actually running off and trying to balance off my bad foot!
I have told him how sad it made me feel and that if he does that then he won't be able to go to the nursery. He has been going since beginning of December. I wonder if I should just take him out of there, but he is starting full time nursery in September so will have to deal with that anyway. He had a lovely sleep on the way home.

aloha Wed 12-Jan-05 16:33:03

I think it's really normal tbh and you really shouldn't take this personally. He's is just tired and fed up and overwhelmed, I'd guess. Don't feel embarrassed, it really isn't unusual. I turned down a nursery place as ds also still realy needs a pm nap. Does he need to start fulltime nursery because you are going to work?

FineFigureFio Wed 12-Jan-05 16:35:02

my ds is exactly the same everytime I pick him up from nursery. I just put it down to overtiredness

amynnixmum Wed 12-Jan-05 16:38:49

Loads of children do this sort of thing and I'm sure at some stage you will see others misbehaving and embarrassing their parents just as much as your ds embarrassed you today. Also you have just had the xmas break and since he hasn't been going to preschool that long anyway this is bound to have an effect. Its not uncommon for children to initially settle in well to preschool and then a few weeks in rebel against the new routine.

Fimbo Wed 12-Jan-05 16:40:15

I really wouldn't be bothered about the school staff, they have probably seen reactions like this countless times before although I know at the time you feel like the whole world and his wife is watching you and you just want the ground to open up and swallow you. Hugs xx

weightwatchingwaterwitch Wed 12-Jan-05 16:40:38

It's normal and the staff really should have seen it all before, I'm sure they weren't really that shocked. Sounds like tiredness to me, not a lot you can do about it except wait for it to pass.

kid Wed 12-Jan-05 16:45:47

Thats reassuring then, thanks!
I seriously thought it was just him being extra naughty. I didn't take it personally that he isn't my friend, he always says that!
He needs to start nursery fulltime in Sept as I work in the same school and it makes life much easier if he does. Hopefully, by September he would have dropped his pm nap anyway so it might not be an issue? My DD goes to the same school, she is in Year 1 and is so well behaved. She does have her little outbursts but nothing in comparison. I know there will be plenty more emabarassing moments with DS at my work. While he was showing off today, there was a lady sitting in a car and she was laughing . Not looking sympathetic in the slightest, just laughing at my attempt to control the situation.
I know she might not have been laughing but it looked like it so that didn't make me feel any better.

kid Thu 13-Jan-05 13:18:20

Not long took DS to his pre-school with strict instructions that he is not to shout or run away when I collect him today! I've explained that I know he is tired and if he walks nicely to the car, he can have a lovely sleep. Lets see if it works. I collect him at 3pm.

ourdarling Thu 13-Jan-05 14:08:20

When l used to collect my very tired girl from pre school, l used to bring a long one of her toys she had been playing with that morning saying it had missed her and was waiting for her in the car. Sometimes she would still throw her weight in the car, but at least we were on our way home!

Poshpaws Thu 13-Jan-05 14:12:36

DS (3) this morning shouted 'No' at me in front of his nursery teachers and friends. All I had said was 'Mummy will pick you up later'.

This all stemmed from the fact that he was being very naughty this morning at home and then had the nerve to ask for a chocolate biscuit. I said no because of his behaviour and from home to inside nursery he was screaming and angry.

When he said 'No' to me this morning, I gave him a kiss and said 'OK' and then went. His nursery nurses feigned surprise at his outburst and I had to surpress a smirk, as he does make me laugh when he behaves that way (although I NEVER show him that).

I agree with others, it is fairly standard behaviour at this age. Please don't worry.

kid Fri 14-Jan-05 07:56:30

When I collected DS from pre-school, he behaved himself perfectly! He greeted me with a smile, I helped him put hs coat on and walked to the car. He didn't want to hold my hand but did without much fuss. I kept telling him how happy I was with him. Fingers crossed we get a repeat performance today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now