Talk

Advanced search

26 mth DD suddenly doesn't want to go to sleep - HELP!

(5 Posts)
Lua Mon 10-Jan-05 11:16:10

Hi everyone,
My DD has always been wonderful at sleeping. We had a very well established sleeping routine, and we hardly have any problems.
I am 5 months pregnant, and decided we needed to move the us putting her to bed, to her going to sleep on her own, since once #2 arrived I won't necessarily be available to stay with her until she fall asleep.
Thus, we continue our usual routine, but once I put her the bed I explained was time to sleep and she should close her eyes and sleep and I'll see her in the morning. She cried for 45 min. the first day and I went back in there 3 times to explain again. She was mostly whining so I thought we were doing fine. But after one week, she nows tell me she doesn't want to go to sleep (which she never said before!) and cry in earnest...
I though maybe I moved too fast, and decide to sit with her without talking or touching her. But she took an hour to sleep (in the past it never took more than 15 minutes...) and she didn't really sleep until I finally decided to leave. She then did whine for 10 minutes and went to sleep. However, she is now also waking up in the middle of the night crying really badly.
Don't know more what to do!!! Should I persevere with letting her fall asleep on her own? Did move to fast and should step back?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Lua Tue 11-Jan-05 16:14:02

selfish bum - but I really need some opinions!!!

starlover Tue 11-Jan-05 17:57:27

Hey,

I don't really know the answer to this, having never been in the situation. But I think I would stick with letting her fall asleep by herself... I only say this as I saw it on supernanny or some other show!
She WILL get used to it, but it will be hard. I think you did the right thing to sit with her without talking or touching her... persevere and eventually she will re-learn the routine

lowcalCOD Tue 11-Jan-05 17:58:56

is she having a nap at lunch?

Lua Tue 11-Jan-05 21:50:27

yes, she goes tothe nursery tewhole day, and have a nap there.
I'veasked tonot let hervsleep past an hour.
I think she is too young tocompletely give up a nap,no?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: