Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What noise?

(24 Posts)
Frizbe Wed 05-Jan-05 11:23:51

Can anyone tell me what noise Hippo's make? also Giraffes? (guess Zebras are like horses right?)

throckenholt Wed 05-Jan-05 11:24:44

all pretty much a bellow of some kind I guess

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 11:25:50

Zebras make a king of donkey hee-haw noise, as heard on any TV programme where you see lions chasing zebras.

Kayleigh Wed 05-Jan-05 11:27:38

After many discussions on the subject in our house we have come to the conclusion that giraffes don't make a noise. That just make funny faces. But we could be wrong !

Tetley Wed 05-Jan-05 11:27:40

Giraffes don't make any noise (don't have a voice box, I think) - so that one's easy!! Don't know about hippos though - at a guess a very large bellow!

Frizbe Wed 05-Jan-05 11:30:02

cool keep those ideas a coming! didn't know that about giraffes! you learn something new every day!

Prettybird Wed 05-Jan-05 11:40:57

Hippos make a sort of low grunting noise - but quite loud. They will do quite a few in succession - it is very distinctive. Sort of like a "grhumph, grhumph"

I haven't heard giraffes make a noise per se (didn't know they didn't have a voice box - you learn something every day) - but they do make quite a lot of noise pulling and chewing leaves.

Surfermum Wed 05-Jan-05 11:45:39

Tee-hee love this thread. .

The noise giraffes make has puzzled me too! And there is always a giraffe in the books. Normally if I don't know the noise I do an action (like a trumpeting elephant or a rabbit munching on carrots). DD probably wonders what the point of giraffes are and will be totally surprised the first time she sees a real one as the toys are never in proportion to the other animals.

Her best noise is the shark which goes "der de, der de, der de, de, de, de, de" (Jaws music), then a high pitched psycho-attack noise as it gets you.

handlemecarefully Wed 05-Jan-05 11:56:56

Actually as a regular zoo attender I can advise you that giraffes occasionally make snorty noises through their noses (a bit like horses)

Frizbe Wed 05-Jan-05 13:38:57

excellent, I can do snorty

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 13:39:44

giraffes in our house apparently dont make a noise - they just stretch their necks realy long
according to ds///

StNickschik Wed 05-Jan-05 14:36:48

This is probably not helpful but I believe hippos fart a lot!

StNickschik Wed 05-Jan-05 14:37:45

DD asked me yesterday what noise a tortoise makes - other than munching I couldn't come up with anything? - any suggestions on this one?

lowcalCOD Wed 05-Jan-05 14:38:13

I liek it that in france dogs say ouagh ouagh

californiagirl Wed 05-Jan-05 17:19:39

Giraffes do, in fact, have a voice box. On the other hand, their necks are so long they can't get the air pressure right to do much with it. I'd go with the snuffling noises.

Check this out: "Despite possession of a well developed larynx and a gregarious nature, the Giraffe is able to utter only low moans or bleats." A medical treatise on why giraffes can't make interesting noises

My husband is baffled by a) the fact that my mother taught me to call animals as well as what they say and b) the fact that you call a cow by going "boss, boss, boss".

sassy Thu 06-Jan-05 10:22:56

We always did a munching noise accompanied by lots of jaw movements/tongue-swirling for giraffes! Can't help with hippos tho...

handlemecarefully Thu 06-Jan-05 22:04:05

california girl - you should get out more!

Fran1 Thu 06-Jan-05 22:06:50

Yes in this house giraffes chomp on leaves and chew really noisely.

But, what noise does a flamingo make?

colditzmum Thu 06-Jan-05 22:08:12

In my house, rabbits sound like bugs bunny!!

edam Thu 06-Jan-05 22:13:50

ROFL at this thread – and thank you, because I'm always stuck at the same points in ds's picture books. Should be a law restricting authors of books for tiny children to featuring animals parents can impersonate, IMO.
PS anyone know what noise a whale makes? I can't do sonar...

Surfermum Thu 06-Jan-05 22:49:40

That's best left to bath-time as he squirts water of course.

californiagirl Fri 07-Jan-05 18:47:01

Hey, for a sick woman with a sick baby, I get out plenty. But Google is so useful...
All about flamingos says "Flamingo vocalizations range from nasal honking to grunting to growling. Flamingos generally are very noisy birds. Variations exist in the voices of different species of flamingos. Vocalizations play an important part in keeping the flock together and in ritualized breeding displays."

Frizbe Fri 07-Jan-05 19:35:16

Wow good stuff California girl! I'd forgotten about flamingos and we have a pic of one of those too! (realised when stuck on it earlier, ahem) dd now thinks I'm mad, with the noises I'm coming out with for giraffes and Hippos tho

Fran1 Fri 07-Jan-05 21:02:36

Wow thanks california girl, you learn something new everyday!!

I honestly thought they were silent! how wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now