Talk

Advanced search

Safe flavourings for formula milk. Suggestions????

(27 Posts)
hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 14:32:19

Hello?

rouge Tue 04-Jan-05 14:36:17

um, what do you mean?

Twiglett Tue 04-Jan-05 14:40:28

why on earth would you want to flavour formula?

and who's was this thread anyway>>>?????

hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 14:42:30

Not mine!!! I didn't do it, honest!

Bozza Tue 04-Jan-05 14:43:38

My friend puts Horlicks in SMA for her DD (11 months) for her bedtime bottle. Not convinced by it myself.

PicadillyCircus Tue 04-Jan-05 14:46:19

This thread had a title in active conversations.

Suppose there might be a baby who didn't like the taste of formula.

hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 14:48:32

Perhaps moving from breast to bottle - formula doesn't taste the same.

Hey, can whoever started this come and tell us please?!

bongobum Tue 04-Jan-05 14:50:08

dont know what happened there, it was my post!!
Ok here goes DS 7 months eating 3 solid meals a day - no complains. he is severely lactose intolerant and has a special formula. He previously had tried several other formulas which he didn't take to at all and his weight plummeted. he seemed to be doing really well on this one 'Neocate' but now is refusing it point blank, at best he will have 1 or 2 ozs - I am worried about him not having enough vitamins and minerals, e.g. calcium

I have tried to sneak some of the milk into pudding and solid foods but this doesn't even nearly make the recommended 1 pint he should be having.

HV suggested using a flavouring to the formula and I was horrified when she suggested Nesquick sp? Anyone know of anything I could use. I thought of using an organic cocoa but am concerned it will contain caffeine? Any ideas?

bongobum Tue 04-Jan-05 14:51:56

Not sure about the horlicks, isn't there lots of sugar and crap in that? Mind you am I going to find anything?

hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 14:54:06

Nesquik?! That's just pure sugar, flavourings and...well, I am speechless! 'Health' Visitor?! Should be called 'Unhealthy' Visitor!

Is this the only formula he can have? Sounds difficult for you - I'm sure some of the other MNetters with babies who are lactose intolerant will have some ideas though.

Twiglett Tue 04-Jan-05 14:54:09

she probably suggested nesquick cos actually it has no additives in it (lots of sugar though) but no chemical (or limited) chemical crap

I still wouldn't give it to a baby though

how about him taking leafy green veg? or goats cheese melted into food?

sorry about initial post

bongobum Tue 04-Jan-05 14:57:01

don't worry twiglett I would prob have reacted the same as you. DS can't have goats milk or cheese. he has lots of veg/fruit/legumes/starches I just worry. 6/8 ozs of formulas isn't enough in my mind.

hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 14:57:37

Can you give him supplements?

bongobum Tue 04-Jan-05 14:58:15

i have no idea, didnt even think about that!

hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 14:59:12

Might be worth a go - better than Nesquik I would think! Your HV should have suggested this, I'm sure.

hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 14:59:23

Angry at your HV, not you hun!!

Twiglett Tue 04-Jan-05 14:59:35

can gp refer you to a nutritionist?

does he take soya milk?

could you make rice pudding with the formula or other desert

could you mix in a little natural juice?

PrettyCandles Tue 04-Jan-05 15:02:57

What about making the formula up with herb tea? Fennel is very flavourful and quite safe for babies. Peppermint isn't so good in large amounts, so wouldn't use it. Chamomile is also safe.

Can he manage a straw yet?. You could make the formula into a milkshake wiht banana and pear, or grapes and apples are another nice milkshake combo (apples mush up really well if you grate them on the very fine side of the grater).

Prufrock Tue 04-Jan-05 15:04:39

Does he have porridge for breakfast? I find that that uses quite a lot of milk. Does he have lots of water with his meals - if so could you try giving him formula as a drink instead? Maybe watered down? And in a cup rather than a bottle to try to fool him?

slim22 Tue 04-Jan-05 16:00:16

Hi,
I would suggest some fruit puree in mixed formula milk.
I freeze purees in ice cube trays and sometimes pop one or 2 cubes to melt in his bottle for morning milk. DS favorite flavors are apricot/pear/blueberry.
Otherwise, organic cocoa (small ammount ie:small teaspoon) seems like a good idea.
good luck.

bongobum Tue 04-Jan-05 19:04:38

thanks so much for your suggestions, Twiglett, you are right about the Nesquik, no e numbers as such but very high in sugar, my, how things have changed since my day

I am already mixing his formula with rice or porridge or museli in the morning but it doesn't use up much. He can't have soya either the little blighter is allergic to that too!

He is under the care of a dietician at the hospital but as we have changed formulas so many times she just tells me to carry on giving it to him or add it to rice pudding, the little man would be on about 7 bowls of the stuff to try to get his 'allowance' of 1 pint!

Pretty candles I love the idea of a smoothie in the morning, do you know what age they will take to a straw?
And slim, does the fruit puree not get into the teat and glog it up?

Thanks so much for the ideas, I did find some organic Cocoa powder earlier and he took a WHOLE 4 OZS!!! Don't know if it's fluke and would prefer to be the only chocaholic in the household!

Should know this really but does anyone here know of food high in calcium/protein that isn't dairy and suitable for babies?

colditzmum Tue 04-Jan-05 19:10:52

I'm sure you can get added calcium bottled water but i don't know if the sodium content would be suitable for babies, worth having a look i would think.

Catbert Tue 04-Jan-05 19:20:07

Just on the straw thing - DD1 learnt how to use a straw by drinking smoothies at around 12m. Because you can suck it up to the top, before putting it in their mouths, and it doesn't sink back down, it sort of starts them off - not sure about at 7m though - maybe?

phatcat Tue 04-Jan-05 19:21:02

don't know about the calcium content but the grain quinoa is high protein, v. small grains and easy to digest - ds likes it - can use it in place of pasta, cous cous etc. White fish puree would be good at this age too. My ds took ages to take to a straw - kept trying from about 9 months and he finally got the hang at 18 months.

Hulababy Tue 04-Jan-05 19:23:27

We used it to make a whole range of smoothies and milkshakes, using fresh fruits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now