Talk

Advanced search

Ive posted this in the food topic but thought Id give it a go here too:

(16 Posts)
pepsi Mon 03-Jan-05 21:39:24

My friend is really worried about her 7 year old ds. He is a fit and lovely little boy who is growing, but he doesnt like so many foods, hence she struggles to find new meals for him.

Here is what he likes and doesnt like so any ideas would be great:-

Hates:

cheese in anything
tomato toppings/sauces inc. baked bead, pizzas, etc.
Will only eat apples, no other fruit.
May occasionall eat a few peas or a slice of carrot.
I dont think he eats red meat and I dont think he likes pasta either. He eats mash potato at school but refuses it at home.

Eats

cod: fish fingers and fish cakes
small amount of roast chicken
garlic bread
tinned chunky veg soup
bread and butter
toast
some yoghurts but with no lumps.

His eating is linked to texture and smell, he will often decide whether to eat something purely on the initial smell. My list is brief. He does drink milk too. Its really hard on his mum she works full time so its very difficult to prepare meals that take a long time, any help or advice?

Add a Message

codswallop Mon 03-Jan-05 21:40:34

meat?

pepsi Mon 03-Jan-05 21:43:32

Dont know how far she has gone on the meat thing, I know she doesnt like red meat herself so possibly he doesnt have it either. I cant honestly imagine him eating any other meat other than chicken as she said even one small bit of chicken is a real achievement.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 03-Jan-05 21:44:41

Does he like egg noodles or rice?

pepsi Mon 03-Jan-05 21:47:15

Forgot to ask too, she tried the not letting him know she was bothered what he ate routine and basically he ate nothing for three days and was then sick but there was nothing to come out. She then gave it up as she had got nowhere. He has been a difficult eater since he was 8 months old. Although he is growing she is worried about his long term health. I know at break time at school the only thing he will eat is a slice of bread and butter. Its not like he will only eat junk, he gives any food the once over before he eats it and seems to be very selective.

jellyhead Mon 03-Jan-05 21:47:20

srambled eggs etc?

pepsi Mon 03-Jan-05 21:47:53

dont know about egg noodles/rice, will suggest them.

pepsi Mon 03-Jan-05 22:12:48

Please ignore all my messages, cant believe Ive been so pathetic as to have posted this message. speaking to my friend put it in my mind tonight, but having just sat and watched the news Ive realised that it just doesnt really matter what he eats, he is lucky enough to have the choice, others in the world dont.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 03-Jan-05 22:23:23

pepsi - there's nothing wrong with you being a thoughtful friend and asking for ideas .

hattynewyear Mon 03-Jan-05 22:29:06

Home made soup? Might sound daunting to someone who doesn't usually make it but carrot and coriander soup realy is nothing more then boiled carrots, bit of cream, stock if you've got it and coriander, blended with a mouli. Takes about ten minutes. Leek and potato is another favourite of mine

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 03-Jan-05 22:31:20

I do egg noodles for ds1 (3). Take 3 minutes to boil. I toss them in a little bit of sesame oil with a splash of soy sauce.

Ds's favourite rice dish is sweet and sour chicken with rice. I buy ready made sweet and sour sauce (an organic one - can't remember name). Fry up a little chicken breast, boil the rice. Bung it all together.

Obviously they're both good as a carbohydrate alternative to potato and pasta and can be used in lots of ways other than my suggestions.

WideWebWitch Mon 03-Jan-05 23:39:38

It would be good if she could get him to eat eggs in some form for the iron and protein. Has she tried all ways? Poor woman.

bunnyrabbit Tue 04-Jan-05 15:18:48

Hate to put my oar in here, and please tell me to go away.. but you said he will eat mash at school, but not at home. Has your friend asked him why?

BR

Potty1 Tue 04-Jan-05 15:46:15

My dd is 11 and she eats a very restricted diet. Her's stems from being tube fed as a babe and she has always been very wary new foods. We have discovered that she actually likes foods that are more spicy like chilli and curry. She eats no fruit whatsoever and only drinks milk and water....this is a huge bonus I know

Hattys soup idea is great. You can blend in loads of different veg and just leave carrots and potatoes in lumps, plus some chicken if he'll eat that. It'll freeze too. What about potato in other forms? Baked or waffles for instance

Does he eat cereal, drink milk? Dd would happily live on weetabix.

It is very frustrating and I can understand it getting her down.

aloha Tue 04-Jan-05 15:50:17

Peanut butter? Hummus? Taramasalata? chips? Malt loaf and butter? mushrooms on toast? Smoothies?

LissaQ Tue 04-Jan-05 22:39:12

Tell your friend I know just how she feels, DS is nearly 4 and for the past year has limited his diet to sausage rolls and Laughing Cow + Honey sandwiches!!! He does eat a good breakfast. I make a vat of veg soup at the weekend and throw in everything (red lentils too) and he has a bowl of this every day - it's the only way I stay sane! The soup idea is def. the best one - I tell myself DS will be driving me to despair cleaning out the fridge when he's a teenager - I only hope that's true!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now