Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Throwing Gameboy on the floor ...AARRGGHHHH Long post

(4 Posts)
charliecat Mon 03-Jan-05 09:30:05

DD7 got a gameboy for Xmas. A few days ago she chucked the playstation controller on the floor so I banned her from the Playstation saying it wasnt acceptable to throw it...it wasnt hers to break and now your not allowed on it...didnt give a time limit.
Fine....then I hear her throwing the Gameboy on the floor a few days later so storm upstairs take it off her ask her what the hell shes doing and because Santa brought it for her I couldnt mention money or it being mine so I said your not being grown up enough to look after this you shouldnt throw it bla bla bla...
The thing is...I dont know how to get the message in her head she CANNOT throw it.
If she did break it that would be a great deterant but I dont want that to have to happen. Any ideas on how to stop her...or a way to get it in her head she really cant throw it? Please...

Potty1 Mon 03-Jan-05 10:57:42

Is she frustrated with the game she's playing charlie?

Ds2 used to get like this, not throwing but virtually bursting in to tears because he couldn't do it. I used to do as you have and take it away I'm afraid. At the end of the day it's supposed to be enjoyable and that level of frustration isn't fun surely? After a time he did learn when to switch off and how to control his frustration. Maybe you need to limit her time on it for a while.

charliecat Mon 03-Jan-05 16:03:59

Both times actually she was fed up playing it. And instead of switching off and walking away she threw instead! Ive limited her time by confiscating it

vess Mon 03-Jan-05 19:48:02

How old is she?
My son is 4 and 1/2 and he's got one of those kiddie computers that teach basic maths, spelling, etc - and he threw it a few times, because he couldn't do something on it, even though I told him loads of times not to, because it will break - as a result some of the pixels are now missing. Well at the end of the day it is his toy, so its up to him really. I've done what I could, and if he wants his toy broken, so be it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now