Talk

Advanced search

could he be?......

(20 Posts)
tiredemma Fri 31-Dec-04 07:32:05

ds2 is a "livewire" to say the least, needs little sleep, when awake is fidgety, wont stop still, climbes all over furniture, throws toys round etc.
im at the end of my tether, if i sit down on the sofa with him to watch a disney vid he just gets up and down of the sofa. basically just very eratic behaviour, i put it down to his age (18mths) and that hes " a boy" etc, but now im concerned that he may be hyperactive in some way.
i suppose i just need some reassurance , what things would i look out for etc.
thanks, its very difficult and im clutching at straws as to why hes like a mini whirlwind..

mishiclaus Fri 31-Dec-04 07:35:36

aww te
my ds is a fidget and he is 14mths. As u say he is always climbing or seems to be doing 10 things at once. He does sleep tho as he wil go to bed at 8 till 6 and have a 30min nap in day. I think at this age they dont sit n watch much..ds will slightly glance at cbeebies while doing something else...the only time he tends to be still is if he is strapped in and even then he is usually kicking his legs or babbling....if you are really concerned speak to ur hv or gp but it is possibly just ur ds being a toddler
take care

bensmum3 Fri 31-Dec-04 09:04:36

Hi, my ds was 18 months on the 27th and he's exactly the same, he is very sociable and will go up to friends to be picked up only to say down the minute they get him up, then go to someone else and do the same thing, at home he is rarely still unless strapped into his highchair or on my back in the ergo, he is only just sitting with me to read about 3 pages of a book, he's my 3rd child and i'm sure this is quite normal, just sit quietly yourself sometimes and he might come and join you for 2 seconds !
By the time he's 2 he will probably be able to sit and read a whole book with you.

Tarka Fri 31-Dec-04 09:13:31

Tiredmama - you could be describing my ds..he is 19 months old, extremely wriggly, and never seems to stay still. The only difference is that my ds does love his sleep. Ever since he learned to crawl he has been unstoppable. Friends of mine with children of a similar age look on in wonder at him while their offspring sit quietly on their laps. I travelled to London on the train recently with a friend whose little girl is the same age as my ds. My friend's dd sat on her seat FOR THE WHOLE JOURNEY while my ds charged around the (otherwise empty) carriage for 50 mins. It did not seem to bother him that every time the train jolted he fell over, he was enjoying himself too much -(we went 1st class as I couldn't face standard class with my ds - you will know what I mean! It was worth it btw). Anyway, although I know it can be exhausting, I try and remind myself that he is just a very curious little boy who loves life and approaches it with glee. Out of interest, does your ds have very strong emotions? Lots of tantrums, very confident etc? Mine does, and I wonder if it goes with the territory. Have a word with your HV if you're worried, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!
P.S FWIW, my ds has JUST started to get back into books, after a very long period of not being able to sit still long enough for a story, he now happily sits while I read to him. That is the only time during the day he is still though!

Will watch this thread with interest.

coppertop Fri 31-Dec-04 10:26:04

Sounds a lot like my ds2 (23mths). Like most boys of his age he is very active but he is in a league of his own in that particular department. A friend summed it up when she described him as "manic". He quite literally bounces off the walls and climbs up them too. He rarely goes to sleep before 11pm (midnight last night) but is still up and about at 7.30am. His feet are still tapping while he is asleep.

In ds2's case though I think he is just very active rather than clinically hyperactive. He is due to be assessed soon though so I may yet be proved wrong! (He has other difficulties too and is being assessed mainly to see if he is autistic like his brother).

I'm fairly sure that it's very difficult to diagnose something like ADHD at a very young age as very active behaviour can be normal at such an age. You could try keeping a food diary to see if anything in particular seems to make him worse. Ds2's 'triggers' are tiredness and certain types of chocolate.

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 10:28:48

Yes my dd (now 5) was just like that and still is to a certain extent. She has been dx with Adhd and communciation difficulties (nothing specific except fro language disorder)

tiredemma Fri 31-Dec-04 10:30:44

i think the reason why i notice it so much is beacuse my eldest ds (age4) is so good and has been since the day i bought him back from hospital- he loves to sit and read or watch a movie, i suppose im comparing him too much- he just wears me out so much!
he has a very good diet, no sweets etc - it may be his age, whenever i mebtion it to anyone all they say is " you never get two the same"

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 10:32:23

Maybe mention it at your 2 year check and see what the hv says

coppertop Fri 31-Dec-04 10:36:53

Agree with BH. It can't hurt to mention it at his 2yr check-up. They might advise you to wait a bit longer and keep an eye on things but at least it'll be in his notes.

tiredemma Fri 31-Dec-04 10:40:00

i think i will,- hes just climbed into the washing machine shouting "simba.....simba" !!!
ill keep a note of his behaviour between now and then and see what my hv thinks.

coppertop Fri 31-Dec-04 10:45:10

The diary sounds like a really good idea. In fact you've just reminded me that I should probably be doing something similar for ds2 ready for his assessment!

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 10:46:46

I think that the way I was told and a good way of looking at it is behaviour is only a problem if it affects the people around the child. If you are happy with it then it's not a problem. Hope that makes sense!

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 10:46:46

I think that the way I was told and a good way of looking at it is behaviour is only a problem if it affects the people around the child. If you are happy with it then it's not a problem. Hope that makes sense!

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 10:46:58

oops

tiredemma Fri 31-Dec-04 10:53:52

i dont think i am bh, tbh, i find him difficult to deal with when im at home with him, and somedays, id rather be at work which is terrible, i love him so much, but i feel guilty for getting snappy with him most of the time and wishing i were somewhere else.

coppertop Fri 31-Dec-04 11:38:16

I think I know how you feel. Much as I love ds2 there are times when I could quite happily leave him on someone else's doorstep for them to deal with. Then he gives me his cutest cheeky little grin and I feel soooo guilty for even thinking about it.

By bizarre coincidence the appointment for his assessment has just arrived in the post.

tiredemma Fri 31-Dec-04 11:39:39

good luck coppertop, let me know how it goes x

Nutcracker Fri 31-Dec-04 11:41:34

Definatly mention it at his 2 yr check emma, or sooner if you feel you should.

Ds has just had is 2 yr check and as a result of a few concerns i had, he is having his hearing tested and his speech assessed.
The h.v said she would rather check it just to be sure than have me worry about it all the time.

What is it with bloody washing machines too, i am always having to pull ds out by his feet

Blossomhill Fri 31-Dec-04 17:41:14

That's good to hear nutcracker as I am sure it will put your mind at rest

vess Mon 03-Jan-05 20:24:06

Well my ds was like that and still is at 4 and 1/2, although now he can sit and watch cartoons or read books (I mean be read to) for as long as I can bear to read them...
At 18 months he didn't show much interest in television either - would maybe watch for a few minutes at a time, but that's all. (Isn't television supposed to be bad for them anyway?)
Tiredema, I wouldn't worry about things like ADHD yet, because: (1) as far as I know, it is very hard to diagnose it before the age of 5, and (2) there is no strict dividing line between an ADHD child and a very active, impulsive one.
The main thing, they say, is to show understanding.
Tips: try to give him plenty of outdoor/physical activity time. Don't spend too much time in the house if possible - try and go out to toddler groups, etc. Have friends round - if he likes it. Go to friends' houses. And don't even think that you can sit down and have a rest/ watch television/ read the paper while he is around, unless somebody else is amusing him. Oh, and finaly: don't try and compare him with other, calmer children, or expect him to be like them. Being 'lively' is a good thing (if hard to cope with)!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: