Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Birthday jealousy

(8 Posts)
samowen Tue 28-Dec-04 14:37:49

my five year old is extremly jealous of brothers third birthday. Any suggestions?

Christmassbee Tue 28-Dec-04 14:40:00

Message withdrawn

samowen Tue 28-Dec-04 14:43:11

Today is his birthday, we actually celebrated his birthday last night. We gave my daughter a small gift but she was so persistant that it was her birthday too and was in tears. We just pretended that it was her birthday as well.

samowen Tue 28-Dec-04 14:49:54

My husband and I could not focus on Owen's birthday or even acknowledge it for her extreme jealousy. I want to teach her that she cannot always have the same thangs and at the same time as her brother. It was just terrible.

myermay Tue 28-Dec-04 17:06:24

Message withdrawn

myermay Tue 28-Dec-04 17:07:14

Message withdrawn

blossomgoodwill Tue 28-Dec-04 17:20:11

We always get the other child a little present. Makes them feel less left out.

LIZS Tue 28-Dec-04 17:36:16

Sorry you are having such a rotten day. Is she normally jealous of her brother or is this a one off ? I think 5 is old enough to understand that her birthday is at a different time and not to expect gifts just because her brother has them. Perhaps it is especially hard for her because it comes so soon after Christmas when everyone gets something but that is never going to change. However I suspect the more you give in the more she will demand. Next year perhaps hold over some of her Christmas presents (give her the choice perhaps) if you sense she is still like this.

What happens at her birthday, does ds get something then ? Our niece's bday is Xmas Eve and I found it very frustrating that on her brother's birthday in July she would also expect something - to the extent that MIL even asked a relative to make sure they remembered something for her too, which I thought was really taking it too far !!

Hope you manage to celebrate a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now